What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wrapping in lieu of Repainting?

n74846

Well Known Member
I've got a legacy 12 that is showing signs of paint wear from the Florida sun. I would like to know if anyone has wrapped their plane instead of/or over original paint. And if so, how has the wrap held up outside? Obviously weight is an issue but should be within the range of paint. Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Other models with flush rivets I'd say sure. The RV-12 with it's raised head pulled rivets, I'd think it would be challenging getting the vinyl to stick down long term.

But maybe others have had good results... would like to hear their experiences.

Other models with flush rivets I'd say sure. The RV-12 with it's raised head pulled rivets, I'd think it would be challenging getting the vinyl to stick down long term.

But maybe others have had good results... would like to hear their experiences.
I think Ralph is right.

My hangar neighbor wrapped his bare aluminum RV6 and it looks really nice, but it doesn't have many raised rivet heads and the ones that it did have, he and his wife took a lot of time with whatever the process is to conform to them.

By comparison, The stripes on the Cessna singles are also vinyl and after a few months they always seems to start raising up around the edges of the raised rivet heads.

Wraps are done frequently (mostly) on truck boxes, think big box truck, with raised head pulled rivets all the time.

There is a soft rubber roller made for adhering the wrap over things like rivets. That along with good prep, good quality vinyl and proper temperature control during the bonding, it should work fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 16-50-59 RollePro Vinyl Application Roller FELLERS.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 16-50-59 RollePro Vinyl Application Roller FELLERS.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 48
Wraps are done frequently (mostly) on truck boxes, think big box truck, with raised head pulled rivets all the time.

There is a soft rubber roller made for adhering the wrap over things like rivets. That along with good prep, good quality vinyl and proper temperature control during the bonding, it should work fine.
Rolle Pro
I'm writing an article in vinyl wrapping my airplane.
20240210_153619.jpg

What does a wrap cost? My RV-9A needs paint touched up, and a wrap might be a good alternative... And who are the vendors?

How do you wrap overlapping seams, such as where the aft top skin overlays the side skins?

How do you wrap the rear spar areas on the empennage and wings?

I have heard that the wraps don't hold up well in IMC, so something to consider if IMC flight is in your flight plans.

Thanks for all of your input. I'm going to start talking to some professional wrappers to get cost figures. The point that vans and trucks are frequently wrapped makes a good case to investigate further.

Thanks for all of your input. I'm going to start talking to some professional wrappers to get cost figures. The point that vans and trucks are frequently wrapped makes a good case to investigate further.
You can investigate truck wrapping. But, I for one can tell you vinyl gapping around rivets/bolts isn't very good on truck wraps. Nobody cares. ""It's just a truck"""
I have owned a few and the wrap seems to curl at the edges and pop up around the protrusions.
We airplane owners would NEVER stand for what passes for wraps on trucks.
UNLESS you are talking show trucks. That's a different story. they don't get driven very much and surely not at 150 miles per hour. And normal cars do get wrapped But then again NO rivets protruding.
My opinion is wrapping an RV-12 would be quite hard given all the rivets
But my luck varies FIXIT

We fully wrapped our RV12 with white and blue 3M vinyl (2080 series).
Done everything ourselves.
Took exactly two 50' rolls of vinyl (one of each colour).
Running squeegee around every rivet is time consuming for sure.

Checkerboards and striping are made using 3M knifeless tape. Lay out the checkers (or striping) with the tape, slap on the vinyl and pull the tape, remove every other square.

If the goal is to save money, paint the airframe with a two-part single stage solid color, then accent with vinyl.

I dealt with aged truck body wrap for decades. Over time it dries out, shrinks, and the adhesives harden. I'm sayin' vinyl is temporary.

If the goal is to save money, paint the airframe with a two-part single stage solid color, then accent with vinyl.
This is what my hangar neighbors did with their restored Cessna 172, and the results were surprisingly good. They both swore they'd never paint another airplane, but it wasn't the painting per se, it was the prep work. :ROFLMAO:

I dealt with aged truck body wrap for decades. Over time it dries out, shrinks, and the adhesives harden. I'm sayin' vinyl is temporary.
I will definitely second this Idea, as this is how my RV-6A is done. Aerographic's for the stripping on white base.
My luck varies FIXIT

I agree 100% with Dan on this. That is exactly the plan for my current project.

I have vinyl on my wings. Had a good time learning how to do it, mine is definitely NOT show quality. I did put down two part epoxy primer prior to the vinyl. I am\was amazed how sheer the vinyl is., you can see an embedded hair underneath the vinyl. In general, I have been impressed with the durability. (400 hours, 3 years, plane is hangared)

Two problem areas to keep in mind.

- A weeping rivet creates a mess with vinyl. I have a weeping rivet that I have not been successful in fixing and it creates a mess, much more than painted surface.

- I struggle a bit around the gas caps as spilt fuel is pretty agressive on the vinyl, especially on film edges. I have been looking for some type fuel resistant overlay around fuel tank openings but have not found a solution yet.

- I was advised to keep vinyl way from engine cowling due to heat. Not sure if this is true or not but I painted my cowl.

A professional vinyl guy and about 5 hrs. changed my 6 from looking like a 1995 shag carpet into this. Guy said it would last years if it didn't live outside full time. Best part is for the price if you get tired of it in a few years you can just rip it off and do something new !

Skip
RV-4 built and sold
RV-6

A professional vinyl guy and about 5 hrs. changed my 6 from looking like a 1995 shag carpet into this. Guy said it would last years if it didn't live outside full time. Best part is for the price if you get tired of it in a few years you can just rip it off and do something new !

Could you ballpark that price for us?

It was less than $1500. for the red, black and checkerboard. The airplane was originally white with some ugly stripes up the fuselage. We covered the old stripes and added the wing and tail. I drew up the design on a cheap free drawing app. and sent it to the vinyl guy. He came out and did some measuring, put the design in his CAD machine and printed it out.
Pieces fit perfect. It was like magic watching him install it. Is it a trophy winner, no but for the time, effort and cost I'm very pleased.

I chose ultimate cheap. Polish where visible and a wrap. :)

View attachment 59534
Beautifully done!! I did it even more cheap: polish and rollers. Latexpaint - and easy-peasy repeair. Guess wrpa is more even when with your nose to the plane, but be honest: do you notice 50ft high....?
4A8D92ED-C63E-49A1-B1BD-BBBCA58F6AFC.jpeg

Back