What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would Like Advice - Austin TX in August

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
My wife wants to go to Austin, TX to see the bats in August. We are from Detroit. Any advice and offers of shop/hangar visits would be gratefully received. Is there a reasonable place to hangar the RV or should I just get a cloth cover? good or bad FBO's? Airports? We would need a rental car. How hot is it while flying at, say, 5000 or above? I already know it will be hot on the ground.
Thanks in advance!

Email me

I think we might have room... Sent you an email. Rental car and cheap Avgas no problem. ;-)

Last edited:
Austin, TX in August

First, it will most likely be very warm even at 5,000'(75 - 80). Second, Bat Conservation International is headquarted in Austin. Give them a call regarding a possible visit to Bracken Cave which is about 50 miles south of Austin on Hwy I35. Bracken Cave has the largest population of Mexican Freetail bats in the world and the emergence is spectatular.

I live in Austin and keep my RV-10 in Lockhart at 50R which is about 35 miles south of Austin on Hwy 183. Just sold my Citabria so there is room in the hangar for an RV-7.

Mark (512-965-0807) ([email protected])

Kind of a "duh", but fly early in the day - cooler temps aloft, less mechanical turb and fewer thermals down low. You will be MUCH more comfy with a slider on the ground.

As for altitudes, afternoons will sometimes have little puffy clouds anywhere from 4k to 10k - coverage and tops will depend on the amount of moisture coming in off the gulf. It gets worse as you move closer to a HOU-DAL line - the low level moisture normally comes in along this axis.

Spend a night at the Hangar Hotel in Fredericksburg. Great shopping for her. great dining, Nimitz museum.

Back