What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winning at the "Canopy Roulette"?

Mistfarer

Hi everyone,

I hope you are well. I was wondering if people on this forum had knowledge of the various canopy providers for RV8. Specifically, I am thinking of Van's stock version, and the ones from LP Aero Plastics, Aerocanopy, and Airplane Plastics.

Looking at a multitude of RV8 pictures, I have come to the conclusion that I am utterly unable to discern which canopy profile comes from where. Some look a lot better than others, but it seems impossible to associate the various canopy profiles I particularly like to a specific vendor. As a result, I wouldn't know which canopy to buy to get my plane to look the way I would like.

Does anyone have a sound knowledge of the various RV8 canopy profiles to share? Bonus point if these persons would be happy to jump on a call via Teams/Zoom/Skype to educate me a little?

Thanks in advance!

I thought there is only 1 profile for the RV8, with the exception of the fastback where you chop off the original canopy.

From my experience with FUBAR my canopy and had to purchase a replacement 2+ years after the original was mounted, the new canopy, which was made by a different company, fitted the same. Even the fiberglass skirt fitted with the same descending angle toward the back. The steel canopy frame fitted the same too. I can't tell a difference in person or comparing photographs

One data point.

The canopy profiles you see are likely going to be different based on the angle the picture was taken. The only true way to compare apples to apples is to have pictures taken from the same spot. Like Phat mentioned, the fastback canopy would be one of the few that are markedly different. A while back, Todd's Canopies had what appeared to be a flatter sloping rear section which likely provided less headroom for the rear seat occupant. His canopies also had thicker plexiglass from all accounts. Sadly Todd passed away in 2016 and I believe his company ended soon after that. If you do get the Vans canopy, spend an extra $100 or so to have the UVA and UVB protection baked into the plexiglass. I don't remember that being advertised as an option back when I built my RV8 but when I asked they did say it was available. It adds a very light tint to the plexi but not enough to affect night flying visibility. Now your next dilemma is going to be "should I rivet the canopy on or glue it with Sikaflex?" ;)

Luck of the Draw?

Roulette is probably right.

Some of the difference you might be seeing is because the 8 canopies are blown, not molded.

Once a vendor has the right recipe (base shape, localized heating, pressure, temperature, etc) they should be fairly repeatable.

Different vendors have different techniques/ovens and therefore slightly different shapes.

I got a stock canopy from Vans in my finish kit, and also ordered a tinted version from AeroCanopy, so I set them side by side and stepped back and visually compared them. There were slight differences but very close. I think the AeroCanopy has a little more slope in the front, and the Van's canopy is a bit more vertical, but it's hard to tell.

When I was talking to AeroCanopy, they said the could adjust the heat lamps in the open to modify the shape a bit, but it seemed a bit hit or miss so I opted not to experiment.

I haven't started the canopy install yet, so no real pics.

Here's a video of heat forming a bubble. Now imagine the base to be a tear drop shape and I think it's pretty close to how it's done. Then again, I could be completely off base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaJc5qE9nkM

Good luck,

Laird
SoCal

The Todd/Lance (Aero?) had a slightly less "bubbly" shape side-side than the Vans and a bit lower "rake" fore and aft. I got a Lance canopy, since at the time he was just a couple hours drive away and I like the shape better.
The Van's skirt, at least mine, did not fit at all due to the above and I had to cut off the top "flange" area and remake it and the rear area.

That is my take anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3724 (2).jpg
    IMG_3724 (2).jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1221.jpeg
    IMG_1221.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
I just picked up my canopy from LP Aero, this morning. Fantastic folks!! I’ll report how well it fits when/if I can ever get a frame from Vans.
I can tell you that it is UV clear and they produce many windscreens for certified and experimental planes. They are well below the vans $ markup. Luckily for me shipping cost me a few hour truck drive which was bonus for the Dog.
It just fits in full size truck bed with gate up and tonneau cover down. Corner to corner

Posted pic if it helps:

Attachments

• IMG_6183.jpg
    IMG_6183.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
It 's all about the form...

All the forms from different vendors are a slightly different shape, mostly in the front. The sides and are locked into a predetermined width at each station to fit the canopy frame, and the back for the same reason. The front of my form was slightly pointed to give it more slope, and a raked look from the side. Whoever Vans uses has (or used to have) a nearly a perfect semi-circle front when viewed from the top. I don't know how everyone else is doing it, but the way I did it the height was repeatable within an 1/8 of an inch. I sold that business quite a while back, and it's been sold again since. I'm pretty sure it's in MN now.

Back