What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Wiring Layout and Conduit Routing.

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I am trying to layout the wiring layout and conduit routing for my wings so I can drill the holes before riveting the ribs to the spars. I have looked at the plans and noticed that the inboard portions of the wiring run in the small holes near the front rib flange which won't allow for the conduit. I'm wondering if anyone has just run a straight conduit run thru the mid lower holes (enlarged 11/16) from the outboard to inboard ribs on both wings. I am thinking of doing this for the wiring on both wings with solder iron openings for exits. On the left wing, I thinking of another 5/8 plastic tubing running in the mid upper holes (enlarged 11/16) from the pitot mast area to the inboard rib for the pitot and AOA lines. I believe that the 5/8 inch pipe will be large enough for all the wiring on both wing, (lights, servos, tailbeacon (wing tip), VOR antenna, etc.) Any feedback or any pictures/ diagrams of what others have found worked for them would be very much appreciated. I included some images of what I was thinking below.
Thanks
1708815861804.jpeg

Left wing
1708815731554.png
Right Wing
1708815119601.png

Attachments

• 1708815092818.png
    1708815092818.png
    342.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1708815649911.png
    1708815649911.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 32
Assuming you have the pitot/AOA on the left wing, and autopilot roll servo in the right wing:
- Enlarging the existing rib holes in the left wing to 3/4” will allow for the standard Van’s 3/4” conduit from wing root to bell crank bay. This provides enough room to run the wing tip wires (landing lights, nav lights and strobes) along with pitot heat wires, and the 1/4” pitot and AOA tubes. From the bell crank area to the wing tip use the existing holes to run the 5/8” cold water plastic pipe as conduit.
- For the right wing the 5/8” conduit is more than adequate to run the roll servo wires, nav lights, landing light and strobe wires as well as the coax run to the wingtip NAV antenna.

Carl

Carl, I see you answered Dennis' question for the RV-14. Would that apply to the RV-8A was well. I find myself in the same situation at this juncture.

Back