What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why did you pick the RV-10?

inktomi

Sponsor
What are your missions like? Why did you settle on the RV-10 with so many other great kit options to build?

I thought this would be interesting. I picked the RV-10 mostly because it's similar to what I've been flying - the Diamond DA-40. I don't do many long cross-countries; most of my flights are within ~300 miles. I wanted an excellent IFR platform and a plane that would be comfortable to bring a dog with me and still have some space for a travel bag in the back. I want to use it to enjoy the southwest's landscape and natural beauty in addition to getting somewhere to spend a couple of hours or a weekend.

I've been second-guessing my choice - would an RV-8 be more fun? Would a KitFox/Cub clone be better for sightseeing? Should I go crazy and build an MX Aircraft MX2 and commit to endless aerobatics? I think the RV-10 is probably a good middle ground.

I'm curious why you all love the RV-10. What's your mission like?

I wanted a station wagon to haul people and stuff. It worked out - I was surprised by how many others were willing to ride in a plane I built! -:). And how often all the seats are filled. Best trip: 2017 flight to eastern OR to see the eclipse. 4 adults, sleeping bags, food, tents, port-a-potie, etc (camped at airport). Of all the RVs (and nearly all other EAB aircraft) only the -10 fits this mission.

Similar to Bob, I needed a family load hauler to support our western adventure habit. Twice each summer we fly from Pennsylvania to the mountains of the west for a couple weeks of hiking and fishing. Not many (any?) aircraft can combine the cross country capability, fuel efficiency, load hauling ability, and short field ability of the RV-10. If you are indeed interested in local flights from one paved runway to another you have lots of suitable choices. Long-cross country flights with the destination being a 3000 foot grass strip with a high density altitude, that is where the RV-10 shines.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MhARg2mo5Hq4qnfR8

Attachments

• BobMarshall.jpg
    BobMarshall.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Ryan.jpg
    Ryan.jpg
    955.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I wanted a station wagon to haul people and stuff.

Ha----I wanted something that could haul massive loads like my old 1948 Stinson Flying Station Wagon, but faster and not as old as I am, or requiring A/P and A/I ratings to keep it airworthy.

Attachments

• Stinson 108-3.jpg
    Stinson 108-3.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 26
I debated a long time about building the 14A or the 10. Didn't really use the back seats of my Mooney for passengers very often. BUT, for the times I did fly more than one passenger I was glad i had it. Plus, with back seats pulled out, much easier to load 2 sets of golf clubs with bags.

In the end, when trying to decide about 2 seats or 4, I decided it was "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". So, I built the 10.

SO GLAD I did!!! I have had people in the back of the 10 WAY more often than the Mooney. I use the back seat area a LOT! Love the 10! For me, it's the best plane I could ever own.

Why I picked the RV 10

I wanted an aircraft to pick my kids up at college and fly them to Mammoth for skiing and boarding. Needed a 4 place with enough payload and an aircraft that can handle high DA with a high ceiling.

What are your missions like? Why did you settle on the RV-10 with so many other great kit options to build?

I thought this would be interesting. I picked the RV-10 mostly because it's similar to what I've been flying - the Diamond DA-40. I don't do many long cross-countries; most of my flights are within ~300 miles. I wanted an excellent IFR platform and a plane that would be comfortable to bring a dog with me and still have some space for a travel bag in the back. I want to use it to enjoy the southwest's landscape and natural beauty in addition to getting somewhere to spend a couple of hours or a weekend.

I've been second-guessing my choice - would an RV-8 be more fun? Would a KitFox/Cub clone be better for sightseeing? Should I go crazy and build an MX Aircraft MX2 and commit to endless aerobatics? I think the RV-10 is probably a good middle ground.

I'm curious why you all love the RV-10. What's your mission like?

I had a Super 8 which I loved. I called it the poor mans P-51, but the RV-10 is the ultimate cruising machine. It's a Cirrus SR-22 at 1/4 of the price !! A great IFR plane too. I have a full Garmin G3X touch panel with A G650 XI navigator and it's awesome. No regrets at all !!

This picture says it all. I wanted four seater which can comfortably fit my family and have all capabilities of cross country hauler.
When my kids grow I will likely move to RV14 with my wife.
RV10 is one of the best airplanes I ever flown - it is so capable!
The only moment I regret is that I have not built it earlier, say 5-7 years back when prices for kits and parts were much better balanced :D

Attachments

• F1F9CBB2-4371-4105-BAB2-72714802F83D.jpg
    F1F9CBB2-4371-4105-BAB2-72714802F83D.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 121
Back