What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to send slick mag for IRAN?

I've had good luck with Quality Aircraft Accessories (QAA) for Slick 500 hour IRANs:

As mentioned in a previous post, Aircraft Magneto Service has a very good rep:
Re: Turn-around time. I have a Slick impulse mag and an LSE Plasma III EI. Years ago I invested in a spare mag (when they were much cheaper!) in order to eliminate downtime when a mag needs a 500 hour IRAN. Swap one for the other and send the one in that needs its 500 hour IRAN, then put it on the shelf - ready to go.

Last edited:
Thx folks. Any idea if my 4370 can be converted to contain an impulse coupler at overhaul or would I need to buy the impulse coupled version outright?

Thx folks. Any idea if my 4370 can be converted to contain an impulse coupler at overhaul or would I need to buy the impulse coupled version outright?
The impulse coupled mag has a longer shaft so the Rotor would need replaced with one that has the longer shaft (M3158) and can have the impulse coupler (M3529) added. You will also need the spacer with gaskets and two longer studs for the accessory case. The price to convert may approach the cost to replace. The parts list also shows a different frame (M3859). Looks like the price of those three parts are the same as a replacement mag.

The impulse coupled mag has a longer shaft so the Rotor would need replaced with one that has the longer shaft (M3158) and can have the impulse coupler (M3529) added. You will also need the spacer with gaskets and two longer studs for the accessory case. The price to convert may approach the cost to replace. The parts list also shows a different frame (M3859). Looks like the price of those three parts are the same as a replacement mag.
Thx! It does sound like a pain vs buying one outright. Do you happen to know what the correct part number and dimension are for an impulse coupler mag that would replace the 4370 current on there?
Thx

Thx! It does sound like a pain vs buying one outright. Do you happen to know what the correct part number and dimension are for an impulse coupler mag that would replace the 4370 current on there?
Thx
They look the same except that there is a 13/16" spacer between the mag and the engine. The impulse mag has about a 13/16" longer shaft. The two studs in the accessory case are also longer.

Thx
I'd have to go look at my manual, but I believe the part number for the impulse coupler mag is 4373.

Poplar Grove Aviation has done several mags for me, reasonably priced and fast service. Nice people!

I will 2nd what Jake said. Poplar Grove did the 500 hour inspection on my Slicks. Great turnaround and reasonably priced.

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Back