What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's a fair price for my RV6?

AllThumbs

Well Known Member
Friend
After being the 2nd owner of a great RV6 since 2007 (completed in 1997) I just don't fly it enough. And I haven't found a viable partner in Marin (KDVO). It has a few scrapes from the old cowl before we made intersection fairings that are removable. One fuel drain doubler needs replacing as it has a tiny crack that seeps. Both tanks have recently been re-sealed.

I'm curious what the forum thinks its worth and where I should post it for sale?

thanks
Neil

TTSN (engine and aircraft): 877
Engine: O-360-A1A (One Sure-Fly mag - both new 2023)
Prop: 2009 Catto 3 blade (no metal edge)
Avionics:
Dynon D180/AP74/HS34/2-Servos for AP
Garmin 400W
AERA 660
Garmin GTX-330-ES (ADSB Out 1090)
Garmin GDL39 (ADSB In wired to AERA 660)
Garmin SL30 with Archer Antenna in wing (VOR and GS/LOC work great)
Orion Strobe/Nav wingtip lights
Custom (small round) LED landing lights so not really a night-ops aircraft.
Nice leather seats. One seat back is thinner for taller partner.

And, yes, I know I should fill out the standard form entires. Can't find them on the new forum format.

62888568151__3F182C84-E747-4283-91DB-7E3B67371A7B.jpeg

Have you thought about posting to find a partner on VAF? Or, post at the bulletin boards at Gnoss? I’m based at Gnoss, and sure some folks would love the partnership.

Have you thought about posting to find a partner on VAF? Or, post at the bulletin boards at Gnoss? I’m based at Gnoss, and sure some folks would love the partnership.
I did a while back on VAF but wanted to keep a partnership at Gnoss if I went that route. Have not put up a sign on the board. Good idea.

But my OP still stands… wondering what it’s worth in this market.

While I am by no means an expert on valuations of an RV6 I can tell you that I have been considering the purchase of an RV6, RV7 or RV9 for when I wanted to do longer distance trips (although no longer looking actively) and would guess yours would be valued somewhere in the $80k's on the market. Again, just an opinion and not even an aircraft valuation novice.

I hope you can find a suitable partner and continue enjoying your beautiful airplane!

Not an expert on valuations either, but I do own a -6 tip-up and try to watch prices as planes get bought and sold. Before reading Amadeus' post above I was also thinking $80K would be a ballpark number, but that's based on one photo and your list of specs only.

Not an expert on valuations either, but I do own a -6 tip-up and try to watch prices as planes get bought and sold. Before reading Amadeus' post above I was also thinking $80K would be a ballpark number, but that's based on one photo and your list of specs only.
Thanks for the replies! I know what the county is taxing me for it (75k) but realize the many factors that go into valuations can significantly impact the value. It’s a joy to fly and I hate to sell it but it’s time to consolidate. As with most decisions like this, the Venn diagram has a lot of intersecting circles.

Many variables. The airframe (parts kitted by Van's Aircraft) have an assembled value but if the workmanship is poor, it will be worth less. Say worth $20K. Is the paint good? That could add another $1K or more. Engine hours / use is another value point. Engine old not used or high time, that would be $10K. Better engine would be pro-rated toward the cost of a new engine. Avionics is another area. OLD analog instruments and old radios, figure another $2K. Less than 2-year old glass and less than 5-year old IFR navigator, then add $20K. Fixed pitch prop, add $1K. CS prop, add $5K. Homemade DIY seats, add nothing. Sheepskin professional made seats, add $3K.

A poor quality airplane engine combo would bring $30K to $35K. A award winning airplane could bring over $100K. Average value of all RV-6s would have me thinking in the $80K area.

Back