What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What propeller should i buy?

RV6A Lycoming O-360-A1A 180Hp fixed pitch. I currently have a prince p-tip and im thinking about changing.

My wants

• Maximum Quiet and smoothness this is the most important for me, was thinking 3 blades for quiet and possibly wood for smoothness?
  • Weight: currently my propeller is around 12lbs and i need something that's heavier for CG issues
  • Looing for more of a cruise propeller but this is not super important
  • Must be fixed pitch

I was originally looking at the Catto 3 blade but its so light. What are your thoughts?

Howdy Johnpaul,

If your highest priority is quiet and smooth, I think you were looking at the best option in the 3 blade composite Catto prop. To deal with the cg issue, you could contact Saber Manufacturing (817-326-6293) about a weighted crush plate (which you will need anyway). Most of the Catto props (speaking from memory here) use 7" aluminum crush plates but I believe that Saber can make you a heavier steel unit if you need the weight--give them a call.

I used to test props for Craig, have had MANY 3 blade tests units on my 180 hp RV9a and highly recommend them for simplicity, smoothness, performance, ---and they are BEAUTIFUL!!

Cheers,

db

Last edited:
I have an RV7 with Catto 3-Blade and a 20 lb crush plate. Nice prop and performs well, with CG in a good range.

What’s wrong with the Prance? Do they not perform well? Have you tried balancing it? My Sensenich aluminum weighs 42 pounds and performs well..
RV6A Lycoming O-360-A1A 180Hp fixed pitch. I currently have a prince p-tip and im thinking about changing.

My wants

• Maximum Quiet and smoothness this is the most important for me, was thinking 3 blades for quiet and possibly wood for smoothness?
  • Weight: currently my propeller is around 12lbs and i need something that's heavier for CG issues
  • Looing for more of a cruise propeller but this is not super important
  • Must be fixed pitch

I was originally looking at the Catto 3 blade but its so light. What are your thoughts?
?

I’ve a hanger neighbor with a RV-6 & O-360 and prince prop. What’s not to like? Doesn’t run it in rain but otherwise keeps up fine with my -6A O360 C/S. He’s slower to climb and has trouble decending compared to my CS Hartzell but we have done formation flights together without issues.

For your CG issue, you can change to a steel crush plate to add weight. Call Sabre Mfg. They can make one to fit your need.
Smoothness, three blade is it, and has to be static and dynamic balanced.

Back