What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is it like around Houston?

kentb

Well Known Member
I was looking at the add for Livingston air park (00R) and thinking about where I would like to retire to.

Could a guy who lived almost all of his life in Oregon (4 years in San Diego), adapt to TX? How hot does it get in the summer? How much of the year can I fly my plane?

Anything else to recommend for or against transplanting?

Kent

Kent, I live about 20 miles from that Airpark. My friend who has an RV6 is building his retirement home there. Yes, it gets hot highs in the 90's, sometimes very humid, but you can fly all year. Lots of sun & pretty days. The area you are looking at is in the Piney Woods of East Texas, but close enough to Houston to get there in an hour. The Livingston is a small town but pretty neat. Send me the link on that Airpark, it recently sold, I was interested in buying the whole acreage, but someone beat me to it.

Houston's OK

between October and February...Other than that, it's darned hot in the summer and mighty humid to go along with it. There are general aviation airports all around, with some airparks too.

I live in Independence, Or... but spend about two months a year (spread throughout the year) in Houston and have done so for the past 15 years.

For a big city, Houston's easy to get around in (compared to Portland or Seattle). Like most big cities, there's a lot going on. Housing is cheaper than Oregon. Gasoline is cheaper than Oregon.

Having said all that...even with the rainy winter you'd have a hard time tearing me out of Oregon. As you know from living in Canby...it doesn't get real hot and it doesn't get real cold. Rainfall is about the same in the Willamette Valley of Oregon as in Houston, except the rain comes to Houston through the summer and when it does, it can rain hard enough to kill a dog in the open and make a mockery of an umbrella.

When the company I work for wanted me to move to Houston, I simply submitted my resignation. The company recanted, and I now live in Oregon. YMMV

I've now spent 26 years in Houston due to the fact that this is where you have to live if you want to do what I do. It's still to hot and to humid for this Minnesota boy - but tolerable because of the life I lead and the flying weather is generally pretty good (although we do get stretches where it can be pretty rough....

Let's put it this way - Houston has been good to me, but I don't plan to retire here!

Paul

I'm from Oregon. Lived in Houston for the last 4 years. I'm moving back in the spring if I can sell my house.

My wife does not like it here and I also prefer the western states.

I gave it the old college try.

Native Texan

I'm a born and bred Texan, always will love it dearly. From Austin, but lived in Clearlake (Houston burb) for 5 years. I cannot, for the life of me, figure why anybody would rather live in Houston than Oregon...
I bet that surprises you...

Where?

Let's put it this way - Houston has been good to me, but I don't plan to retire here!

Paul

OK Paul... enquiring minds want to know....:)

Which part of the country is your preference to retire in?

gil A - moved to Tucson to work and retired here....

OK Paul... enquiring minds want to know....:)
Which part of the country is your preference to retire in?
gil A - moved to Tucson to work and retired here....

Gil (in case Paul doesn't see this),

Paul bought land outside of San Antonio to retire on.
Texas, of course! :)

b,
d

I cannot, for the life of me, figure why anybody would rather live in Houston than Oregon...
I bet that surprises you...

I have been in Texas since 2001 and have even lived briefly in Houston. Houston would not be my fist choice of locations to live in Texas, I would recommend you check out other fine areas of Texas. I like Rio Grande Valley, Harlingen, McAllen Area. The weather is slightly nicer than Houston. In Texas humidity is directly related to how close you are to the ocean. By the time you get to McAllen 60 miles from the sea the humidity is no longer much of and issue. Dallas, Fort Worth has many nice residential airparks and airports. I am currently in West Texas where there is little to no humidity and lots of good flying days, close to the mountains in new Mexico. The hill country west of Austin has to be the most picturesque part of Texas and is worth a look. The piney woods of east Texas are also worth a look.

Last edited:
Gil (in case Paul doesn't see this),

Paul bought land outside of San Antonio to retire on.
Texas, of course! :)

b,
d

Yup, the Hill Country is pretty nice if you are gonna be in Texas. I figure that when I stop doing what I am doing on a daily basis, I might still need to pop in on the folks and help out for a few more years - it's only a 50 minute flight from there to Houston in the RV. Later on? Louise and I are always looking west.....we both love the deserts and mountains!

Paul

Houston.....

This is only MY opinion....but, I have lived in Texas my entire 42-years of life. I would rather live in a swamp in who knows where, than in Houston.

Actually, I will cut to the chase....I HATE IT. To me, it is known as the armpit of Texas. I travel there once or twice per month. The traffic is horrific, it is tough to get around without spending a fortune at the toll booth, etc.

If you are considering the outskirts of Houston, that would be great! But Houston proper? Whew, you couldn't give me a house there....seriously.

This is just my opinion, so I am expecting the flaming to begin.

Plus, there has been little to no zoning done in certain parts of Houston. I go to a nice steak house quite often with clients, and there is a trailer park next door. Not that there is anything wrong with a trailer park, but literally beside a high $$ steak house? Sorry, that town is NOT for me.

The area you're talking about shouldn't even be considered Houston. It's even way outside the metropolitan area made up of Houston and it's suburban cities.

You're talking about an area that is much slower paced and it's highly unlikely that you'll drive into the Houston metro area more than once or twice a month.

I live south of the airpark and I'm literally on the very north edge of the the Houston metropolitan area. I can go south 2 miles and I'm back in the metro area or I can go north and I'm in the middle of rural Texas. And Livingston (mentioned earlier) is about a 45 minute drive north from me. So don't get caught up in all the Houston BS, unless you plan on driving 1.5hrs to get to town everyday, it's a non-issue.

Now for my take on Texas? I grew up in Oklahoma, spent a few years working in the USAF, and came to Houston about 12 years ago.

The flying weather is generally very good. Because we're located so close the Gulf of Mexico, sometimes a stiff south wind blowing across the gulf can keep the moisture levels high and you can get periods of low clouds and low viz that last a week or more. (But that's generally pretty rare). When you get the North winds that blows the dry air from the plains in, it can be crystal clear.

In general though, you can fly just about any time. With an IFR rating, the unflyable days are very few and far between.

March through May are awesome! So is August - Nov. Contrary to what you might belive, it's really pretty rare for this part of Texas to break 100 degrees. Typically temps are 92-94. (But don't forget the humidity!)

Winter time isn't that bad, but it's not that much fun either. It's hard to pre-flight and build with cold fingers - but usually flying is great!

I have lived in other places where you can get more for your money. But in general, it's not that expensive to live here.

Like Paul, there aren't many other places where I can do what I do. My wife is completing her PhD here in Houston; when she graduates we might consider moving someplace else. If so, there's a good chance I'll have to modify my career a bit. However I want to give her an opportunity to spread her wings.

If that requires a move, we'll probably consider the Texas Hill Country, Oklahoma, Missouri, or Tennessee.

In general, there are some better places but there are far worse places.

If it helps any, my parents are in the process of selling their house in Orlando and are moving back into this area to retire. For them it's affordable, good weather, easy access to a major hub airport, traffic is very good, shopping is very convienent, and there is very good healthcare. (the well-known Houston Medical Center isn't too far way)

When you get online, you'll get a ton of opinions and you know what those are like. Cut out the extremes and somewhere down the middle is where you'll probably find it. But the best way is to jump on a plane and come down for a couple of days. Houston is a hub for Continental, so you should be able to find an easy flight down here.

Phil

Last edited:
I'm from Oregon. Lived in Houston for the last 4 years. I'm moving back in the spring if I can sell my house.

My wife does not like it here and I also prefer the western states.

I gave it the old college try.
I'm from Houston. I lived in Oregon for 12 years. I'd vote for Oregon :)

Houston has a lot going for it. You get the usual benefits of a large metro area (transportation, education, cultural - excellent Opera company if you're into that). WX is rarely cold, but then, neither is western Oregon. Shorts on Christmas are normal. Cost of living is cheaper than Oregon.

The downsides are the weather most of the year - not far from tropical with constant high humidity. Traffic is a nightmare in certain parts of the city and crime can be a factor. Public schools aren't the best, although there are plenty of districts in the burbs that are good.

Lots of VFR days in Houston, but afternoon build-up and morning low clouds are common. It's all that moisture and lots of sunshine. Winds are rarely high.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you like to be outside a lot and live in a culture of people who like to do the same, live in Oregon. If you like the sun and warm WX, live in Houston. Better yet, live in an airpark in one of the places, and get an apartment for 1-2 months a year in the other place.

TODR

I have been dreaming of a number of years.....

About living in an airpark. When I looked at the thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22355 and then on to the link http://www.livingstonairpark.com/ it was intriguing. The price of $30K for almost 1 acre looked good.

Now that I have seen the above replies to my question, I don't think that I would enjoy the weather (humidity). It reminded me of the time that I went to New Orleans on business in August one year. I couldn't stand to be outside during the day. Loved the food and entertainment though.

Also when it gets about this time of year and the weather changes, around here you start getting fewer days that you can fly. Can't afford to move until I retire, but I am hoping to do that within the next five years, so starting to look ahead to how to improve my fly when that happens.

Thanks for the input.

Kent

LIVING IN TEXAS

I LIVE IN PECAN PLANTATION IN GRANBURY TEXAS 45 MILES SOUTH OF FT WORTH,,AIRPORT IS 0tx1 eaa chapter 983 a lot of rv's.2, 18 hole golf courses,a marina to lake granbury,club house with a 5 room hotel. it is a gated community. 24 hour security. this is the best live in airpark in texas what a place to live and retire,we have 2 flyins a year our next in nov 3rd.look up ppoa.com.Now why do i tell you this I have a nice house for sale I offer you a beautiful house and one of the best places to live. selling but not moving away. thanks HAL DEAN .

Go into the bathroom, turn on the hot shower water, leave for 10 minutes with the door closed. When you go back in, that's what a Houston summer feels like! West Texas is a whole nother story! That's where I'm going to retire!

Go into the bathroom, turn on the hot shower water, leave for 10 minutes with the door closed. When you go back in, that's what a Houston summer feels like! West Texas is a whole nother story! That's where I'm going to retire!

John, how does West Texas differ from AZ? I have been to AZ in the March and it is great. I have been there in the summer too and had to leave because I couldn't stand the heat. 115 in the shade.:eek:

Kent

Some reasons for the low price

I saw the ad and I'm going to take another look at Livingston Airpark myself, but if you're thinking of flying in from out of state to look at it, there are some reasons why the price is so low.

The positives:

• Paved runway, owned by the city. Fuel on-site.
  • The Livingston area is beautiful, with tall pine trees and rolling hills
  • The lake is one of the biggest in the state.
  • I believe you can build a live-in hangar (if that appeals to you. It does me).
  • Livingston is big enough to have a Home Depot and Super Wal-Mart
  • No Houston traffic.
  • Wonderful south Texas weather six months of the year

The negatives:

• Until recently, the runway was in pretty bad shape. Since the city owns it, you'd have little control over how well it's maintained.
  • The current airpark is pretty rundown and the existing homes and hangars are very modest. If you're thinking of the typical airpark filled with million-dollar homes and antique warbirds, this ain't it.
  • The airpark is not very pretty since it's completely flat and all the trees have been mowed down.
  • The area being developed is not on the runway and it's a fairly long taxi away.
  • The pictures make it look like it's on the lake. It's actually probably five miles driving distance to the nearest boat ramp. You can't see the lake from the property.
  • There's a prison across the highway that is closer than the lake.
  • Lake Livingston is shallow and muddy.
  • The taxes are probably relatively high. Last time I checked, the county tax rates were actually higher than my current home in Harris County near Houston.
  • The nearest EAA chapter (or movie theater) is in Conroe, about an hour and a half away. Despite the ad, Houston is actually more like 2 hours away.
  • The deed restrictions are pretty loose.
  • Miserable south Texas heat five months of the year (we're still hitting the 90's in October)

Now isn't this a timely post; after seeing the new website last week, my wife and I drove to Livingston to check it out. My impressions are similar to Jon's...

The positives:
  • Paved runway, owned by the city. Fuel on-site.
  • The Livingston area is beautiful, with tall pine trees and rolling hills.

I like the city owned part with a paved, lighted runway and fuel. Last week they were repaving the ramp/runway and there was a self serve pump with the price posted as $3.45 /gallon. Sweet! Having said that though, the rest of the city side of the airport is still pretty run down looking with ratty hangars and sheds.

The negatives:

• Until recently, the runway was in pretty bad shape. Since the city owns it, you'd have little control over how well it's maintained.
  • The current airpark is pretty rundown and the existing homes and hangars are very modest. If you're thinking of the typical airpark filled with million-dollar homes and antique warbirds, this ain't it.
  • The airpark is not very pretty since it's completely flat and all the trees have been mowed down.
  • The area being developed is not on the runway and it's a fairly long taxi away.
  • The pictures make it look like it's on the lake. It's actually probably five miles driving distance to the nearest boat ramp. You can't see the lake from the property.
  • There's a prison across the highway that is closer than the lake.
  • The deed restrictions are pretty loose.

Yep, ditto to all of these. As I mentioned above, the runway has been repaved and is nice, but the taxiways from the airpark side to the runway? They're nasty; crappy old rutted and potholed pavement. It looks to me like this is an old, existing airpark that has a new addition/acreage being added to it; the problem is, the older section appears to be dated from the '70s and looks it. Deed restrictions or not, there appear to be exceptions to the rules with lotsa tall weeds, abandoned looking cars/trucks/tractors, plus a few run down old mobile homes. And, as Jon said, the new section ain't pretty; flat, boring, no trees. And I know improvements cost money, but if you're gonna try to renew interest in an old airpark and sell new lots in a new section, at least upgrade or replace the entrance "gate" and fencing along the highway. The fence/gate out front also looks dated from the '70s and is run down, shabby and falling apart. Yuck.

As we drove through there, we didn't even stop to get out of the car to look around; my wife said that if I seriously wanted to consider this place, I'd better call a divorce attorney... 'nuff said!

Back