What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What are the options for retracting flaps with Garmin G3X & GAD27

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey all- On the G3X setup page, you can select flaps absolute position or flaps relative position. My understanding is that If I select relative, I can then select set points and then if I bump the switch down they will go to the next setting and stop there without me having to hold the switch down. At least my reading and playing with settings today lead me to believe thats what's happening.

Is there a way to make that same thing happen when retracting the flaps? So far all I seem to be able to do is retract them by holding the switch up. i.e when I let go of the switch instead of continuing to the next set point they just stop wherever they happen to be.

I looked in the manual and info was pretty sparse on this topic.

Hey all- On the G3X setup page, you can select flaps absolute position or flaps relative position. My understanding is that If I select relative, I can then select set points and then if I bump the switch down they will go to the next setting and stop there without me having to hold the switch down. At least my reading and playing with settings today lead me to believe thats what's happening.

Is there a way to make that same thing happen when retracting the flaps? So far all I seem to be able to do is retract them by holding the switch up. i.e when I let go of the switch instead of continuing to the next set point they just stop wherever they happen to be.

I looked in the manual and info was pretty sparse on this topic.
Flip the wires to the flap at the GAD 27, I had the same issue and that fixed it.

Well, I don't know what random sequence of buttons I pushed, but I went through the whole process again today and it worked. I didn't rewire anything.

In configuration mode:

Set flaps to "Relative"
Select max deployment airspeeds for 20 degree and full flaps
On the GEA24 go through the calibration sequence.
I set detents at 10-20-30-40 and once I saved and exited config mode one switch bump moves to the next detent going either direction. Multiple quick bumps move multiple detents.

FYI- The first time I did this I had some run-on and ended up with the motor running for a couple of seconds after retracting to flaps zero. When going down they continued past max to about 42 degrees. I don't know if it's because the motor is coasting or if there's some slop in my POS-12 linkage. It took a bit of experimenting but I determined that if you start at about 2 degrees and tell the system that's zero, then stop at about 38 degrees and tell it that's 40 they coast to a stop just about perfectly.

There have been lots of threads on here about how if they extend too far you can get they leading edges hung up on the wing and bend stuff so I drew some tic marks on the flaps to see how much overlap there was. Turns out at 40 degrees, I have about 3/4" to spare. It's weird how thats a problem for some people but not for others.

Back