What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What’s 51% ?

JonJay

Well Known Member
What qualifies as 51% of a build? Who decides? I’m just curious, nothing nefarious going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s very well defined by the NKET checklist - There are links to it on the FAA web site, but I’m not where I can search for the link right now.

There is a FAA list of all the activities that it takes to build a plane. The 51% only applies to qualifying fr the Repairman’s Certificate. You just need to do 51% of those activities. That said my understanding is you only need to drill one hole and someone else can do the rest of them. Others smarter than I may have bette understanding.

51% doesn't have anything to do with the Repairman's certificate. It does, however, determine if an aircraft qualifies as amateur-built and is eligible for an experimental airworthiness certificate.

The 51% requirement is defined by the "Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2011) Fixed Wing" below:

It has nothing to do with requirement for the Repairman Certificate. You do NOT have to have built 51% of the aircraft to qualify for the Repairman Certificate. If that were the case no one would qualify if the aircraft were built by multiple people.

Attachments

• Ambuiltfabassycklistfw.pdf
    445.2 KB · Views: 53
Question about the repairman certificate. Can more than one repairman certificate be issued per airframe? As in a co-ownership situation?

Question about the repairman certificate. Can more than one repairman certificate be issued per airframe? As in a co-ownership situation?
FAA policy is no. For multiple partners, they have to decide on the one person who applies. Certificate is not transferable. If holder dies, moves away, etc., another one for that aircraft will not be issued.

There was one exception granted for the one repairmans certificate. I believe it was a husband and wife team who each built a Christen Eagle. The husband passed away and the wife eventually got a repairmans certificate for the husbands airplane.
This was probably 20 plus years ago.
The repairmans certificate is much more closely monitored than it used to be. In 2015 the DAR forwarded the paperwork but I had to make a personal appearance at the FSDO office.

The 51% requirement is defined by the "Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2011) Fixed Wing" below:
Thx Mel -
So, I assume from this check list, that the kit manufacturer, Vans in this case, fills out the check list to determine how far they can go with a kit, like a QB?
Is all of this self governed or does the FAA do any due diligence in some form or fashion?
I ask because I never did any check list, nor did my DAR to my knowledge, or did he?

Thx Mel -
So, I assume from this check list, that the kit manufacturer, Vans in this case, fills out the check list to determine how far they can go with a kit, like a QB?
Is all of this self governed or does the FAA do any due diligence in some form or fashion?
I ask because I never did any check list, nor did my DAR to my knowledge, or did he?
The FAA goes through the list with the kit manufacturer to determine eligibility to being listed as an "approved kit". If the kit is on the approved list, and the builder has not enlisted any "paid assistance", and has made no modifications that would alter the build in a way to shortcut the plans, then the list is not needed. It's up to the inspector to determine if the form is needed at the time of certification.

If the kit is not on the approved list, then the applicant must submit the form to show compliance with the "major portion" rule.

An example of this is the American Legend Cub. That kit is not on the approved list, so each builder of the Cub must submit a completed form.

There was one exception granted for the one repairmans certificate. I believe it was a husband and wife team who each built a Christen Eagle. The husband passed away and the wife eventually got a repairmans certificate for the husbands airplane.
The repairmans certificate is much more closely monitored than it used to be. In 2015 the DAR forwarded the paperwork but I had to make a personal appearance at the FSDO office.

Same for me in 2016, in person appearance at the Lubbock FSDO with all my supporting paperwork.

Same for me in 2016, in person appearance at the Lubbock FSDO with all my supporting paperwork.
I’ve told this before, but: In 2011 I appeared at the FSDO for my Repairman certificate - and found myself face to face with my DAR! He had just recently been hired. We just shot the breeze while his mentor typed up the paperwork.

Despite all the stacks of rules , official kit approval lists, and extensive check lists….. are we any closer to determining when the “major portion” was accomplished by the builder for their “education and recreation”? Me thinks no so much….. ultimately it is a pretty subjective determination. Placing objective criteria on inherently subjective processes does not turn a subjective question into an objective one. If you built the major portion, you know it, and can back it up with all the stories, scars, and plans with coffee stains to prove it. I would bet that most DARs know if you are the primary builder within about 10 min, after a quick look at the shop, and some basic conversation - before seeing any of the paperwork.

Despite all the stacks of rules , official kit approval lists, and extensive check lists….. are we any closer to determining when the “major portion” was accomplished by the builder for their “education and recreation”? Me thinks no so much….. ultimately it is a pretty subjective determination. Placing objective criteria on inherently subjective processes does not turn a subjective question into an objective one. If you built the major portion, you know it, and can back it up with all the stories, scars, and plans with coffee stains to prove it. I would bet that most DARs know if you are the primary builder within about 10 min, after a quick look at the shop, and some basic conversation - before seeing any of the paperwork.
Bingo!

True. They worked together as a husband and wife team to build "his and hers" matching airplanes. Unfortunately, the husband contracted cancer and passed away shortly after the airplanes were finished. He had received the repairman certificate for his airplane, and she for hers. The FAA granted her a repairman certificate for his airplane after looking over the extensive build logs showing that they were both equally involved in each others airplane.

As an aside, you can see her airplane every year at OSH. It is the Eagle that Aviat puts on display at their booth.

Back