What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West System Conversion Chart?

Phil

Well Known Member
West System seems to hide behind a series of numbers such as 407, 410, etc. They don't come out and mention "Microballoons, or Cab-o-sil, or Flox." I assume this is so they can keep a premium price on "their" fillers.

Does anyone know of a conversion chart that shows what each West System number is equivelent to in the rest of the industry?

Thanks,
Phil

That probably explains it Dan...

I'm planning on using their epoxy since it's easily available in town, but I guess I will have to order generic fillers from Spruce.

West system fillers

Do as you wish but their fillers are superior products indeed.
The lower numbers 405 and 407 being structural fillers and the 410 super light weight and easily sandable.
You can still use cabo sill and other stuff but for consistency in sanding
I use their fillers with great results.
The fact that the West System products are available locally in most places is a plus and will save you shipping charges.

West System seems to hide behind a series of numbers such as 407, 410, etc. They don't come out and mention "Microballoons, or Cab-o-sil, or Flox." I assume this is so they can keep a premium price on "their" fillers.

Does anyone know of a conversion chart that shows what each West System number is equivelent to in the rest of the industry?

Thanks,
Phil

Phil,

Here is a description from a local mail order place here in Canada. No conversion chart..but not a bad generic outline.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20016&cat=1,110,42965

Chris

I have 5 or so of the West Systems fillers in stock, and I could bring them to the next Chapter 12 meeting for show and tell if you wish. Those containers look kinda small, but a little goes a long way. I've barely made a dent in any of them.

So #407 is basically micro and #410 is a bondo like filler? Used for small imprefections only? What's it in?

I used the 407 in place of the 410 because West recommends not to use 410 under dark paint. So, from what I can tell...407 and 410 are very similar products, used as lightweight filler. I love their stuff.

My hangar partner and I have been using 404 as a substitute for flox lately. I for the glasswork on my -7, he for the cowl that he's scratch-building for his BD-4(!) Our experience has been that both give similar strength, but epoxy mixed with 404 has a much nicer consistency, sands better (a relative thing, since neither sands easily compared to straight micro) and can actually be used with micro to create a higher strength fill. For example, I used a blend of both around my oil door when I faired it in, since in my experience straight micro can be dented easily, which I wanted to avoid. Flox in that application would have been lumpy. 404 also appears to stay in suspension better. Though it's relatively expensive, we have come to prefer it.

I haven't used West's other fillers, so I can't comment on those.

Back