What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

weight difference in canopies

Wolf

Well Known Member
I built a 6A with slider and I am now building a 7A with tip up for a number of the reasons discussed in the forum. One thing I have not seen mentioned is the weight differential. Has anyone weighed them to find out the difference? I called Van's to find out and their comment was the tip up was lighter but they did not know the difference, they hadn't weighed them. I didn't pursue it as I already had submitted my fuselage order and I was only curious.

Jay N976WM 6A, wings in progress 7A:confused::

Last edited:
The slider is somewhat heavier because of the steel involved, but I can't give you any numbers.

Last edited:
Sliders Must Be

I looked into this issue a few days ago and found an interesting chart on Van's site called "Crating Dimensions and Weights" I noticed that the RV-9 finish kit for the slider to be 20 pounds heavier than the tip-up! Wow! There is surely an explanation for this, but I'm not sure what it is.

Tom

20lbs hummm

I looked into this issue a few days ago and found an interesting chart on Van's site called "Crating Dimensions and Weights" I noticed that the RV-9 finish kit for the slider to be 20 pounds heavier than the tip-up! Wow! There is surely an explanation for this, but I'm not sure what it is. Tom
Yea good catch (LINK). I think the slider has to be heavier because of the wind screen roll bar, but a full 20 lbs may be in part for extra packing material for the roll bar? (guessing)

-The slider has the slider canopy frame and fwd steel roll bar.
-The tip-up has the tip up canopy frame and aluminum bulked/frame.

It makes sense, but I am bummed its that much. The fwd slider roll bar must be the difference.

I would be very surprised if the difference was much at all. The slider frame without the plexi is perhaps 7 or 8 pounds, and the rollover bar maybe similar? The plexi is the heavy part. I'm just guessing, perhaps someone with the stuff handy could measure them? The volume of the crate is perhaps a fair bit more to accommodate the weldments, as George said, and that may be most of the difference.

Back