What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM-1000 RPM sensor needed

MD-11 pilot

I'm New Here
Hello All
After my Lightspeed engineering ignition failed again. So I decided to put the mags back on. Either the box is bad or the RPM sensor is bad. I'm willing to try the sensor. Does anybody have one in drawer that they would be willing to part with?
the part number I have for the sensor is Part#3010005 RPM

Thanks
Phil 925-570-5190

Phil,

I have a small stash of older removed sensors, and I have a few RPM transducers. I'll be home Thursday, and can check for types. I think I have both Slick and Bendix mag pickup versions...which do you need?

Cheers,
Bob
77five-five44-3fiveoneone

Hello All
After my Lightspeed engineering ignition failed again. So I decided to put the mags back on. Either the box is bad or the RPM sensor is bad. I'm willing to try the sensor. Does anybody have one in drawer that they would be willing to part with?
the part number I have for the sensor is Part#3010005 RPM

Thanks
Phil 925-570-5190

The sensor may be repairable. It's probably just a broken wire. Inside the sensor, under the potting compound, there is a single transistor mounted on a tiny circuit board. The three wires are soldered to the board. One of the wires could have separated from the board. The transistor and the three wires are the only components on the board.

Also, don't discount the wiring harness. Years ago, I went through heck with erroneous RPM readings. Drove me crazy for two years, checking connectors on both ends, replacing connectors, replacing sensors, even swapped out the display. Despite doing many many continuity checks, I replaced the harness with new connectors (again) and that fixed it.

RPM sensor

I'll take a look at the potting material. Full disclosure though, I mixed up the wires at the sensor end of the plug. The colors stripes on the 22 gauge wire was pretty small. No excuses though. I don't know if I killed the sensor or that function in the vision box. My last resort is to spend $500 on a JPI slim line tach. Not the end of the world

Back