What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans oil pressure guage

Build9A

Well Known Member
I started up my 0-320 this am and noticed that my Vans oil pressure guage registered 0 zero. I waited for it to respond and nothing for longer than I felt comfortable. I shut down and looked around the engine, checked sensor connection, already knew I had oil and looked for other evidence of leak or some type of problem. Nothing. Got back in and restarted. Oil pressure within seconds went to safe limits. Only difference was the first start took about 4 trys due to cold conditions. It was about 38 degrees. Anyone have an explanation for the lack of oil pressure registering on the guage on the first start and not the second. I monitored the guage during flight and it was in the green all the way. thanks, Jack

Mine did the same But i didn't start it as a rule when I start up any engine I turn it over without starting it to veriy oil pressure so when it starts it will have pressure to problem is the oil line needs to be bleed crack open the fitting at the transducer until oil caome out then tighten it it should work after that the good news is that you did not cause any engine damage

Ken RV-7 flying in maine

They're just unreliable

I had the same problem when mine was about 400 hrs old (on base leg into Osh - bad timing!). It was out of the panel fairly quickly afterwards - replaced by a GRT EIS 4000. I think the Van's pressure & temperature instruments are not that great, several of mine crapped out at about the same time.

Pete

Jack--

Might it just have been "stiction" in the indicator? Bob Nuckolls talks about this in AeroElectric connection. Those gauges have a tendency to stick sometimes, which explains why pilots actually have good reason to tap the face of the gauge when an instrument doesn't look right. That might explain why it was just a one-time thing.

Good luck figuring it out.

Steve

Oil Pressure

Just noted this string. I have mechanical gauges also, but so far have been reliable. As a back-up I also installed an oil pressure idiot light. I used a Ford oil pressure switch mounted in the port near the oil pressure relief valve (O-360-A1A) and it connecte to a warning light near my low volts warning light. It was light, cheap and provides a secondary indication if you have doubts.

Back