What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans IS still doing the right thing - at least sometimes...

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I ordered my -10 wing kit back in March of 2022, received it in February of 2023. I had made a few changes on the kit to include the use of the Sky Designs extended range tanks. One of the modifications with that kit is to change the quantity (from Vans) of the outboard leading edge wing ribs (part W-1009 R/L) from six to four. I modified my order to delete 2 each of those ribs, but when it went to crating Vans accidentally deleted all six of them. I did not notice that during the inventory I did when I received the kit - but last week it came time to use them, I couldn't find them, looked up the inventory list and sure enough all six were deleted instead of just 2.

I called Vans, got a live warm body on the phone, explained what happened, and fully expected to pay todays higher price for those ribs since I was well past the time to send a notice of missing parts for an inventory check. The girl I spoke with looked at my kit order, saw the notation to delete quantity 2, saw the packing list for the kit that went out with all six deleted, and said "Yep, we did that, we'll send those to you no charge." She didn't even ask for shipping cost - and all this was WAY after the 30-day window for checking inventory on a shipped kit for missing parts.

I know there are some that are legitimately hurting from this Chapter 11 deal but this gives me hope that as a whole we will come out all right.

What a coincidence

Funny, the exact same thing happened to me with the exact same resolution. It gives me a glimmer of hope. Now if I can just figure out how to get the other several hundred LCP parts replaced across all my kits ;-)

I truly believe the people of Van’s want to do the right thing. I’ve placed a few in person orders and had one small mix up in which they missed entering a part on the order. When I discovered it missing, I paid for the part (rightly so) but the shipping was covered. It is good to see other glimmers of hope.
When I first began talks with other builders about starting my project, I was told by one, “I have learned true patience and humility.” Legal avenues can be very long roads. I guess this is the “patience” part.

I plan to use this info in my claim. It appears Van is honoring a contract prior to the Ch 11 filing. This is contradictory to their court ordered practices. I believe this gives standing to anyone making a claim to recover lost deposits.

I had the exact same thing but with a flap torque tube / arm.

They agreed to send it to me etc back in October. Then the ch11 happened and I have accepted the new order terms but can’t get an answer on my flap arm. They’ve seen my question on the portal because they corrected another issue with my order / but seem to be ignoring my query about the flap part.

Edit: for context this was for a fuselage kit paid for and delivered a year ago. The missing flap
Torque tube was only noticed when I went looking to install it during that chapter. I did not realise I needed 2 during inventory.

Last edited:
I plan to use this info in my claim. It appears Van is honoring a contract prior to the Ch 11 filing. This is contradictory to their court ordered practices. I believe this gives standing to anyone making a claim to recover lost deposits.

I think (the way I read the filings) Vans has the OPTION of honoring or breaking any prior contract at their discretion.

It should also be noted that all my dealings on this matter, from ordering to payment to shipping, all happened pre-Ch 11.

I'm hopeful Van's will treat all of us with laser cut parts fairly. I'm still owed $4,000 for parts backordered on a wing kit that shipped in May 2023. I spent a good bit of time today calculating the cost of the non-mandatory laser cut parts for my tail kit and wing kit (the ones Van's is no longer saying they will replace) along with the cost of replacement parts for items incorporated into construction that now need to be scrapped. That cost (at current store pricing) is approximately $5,000.00 on top of the $4,000.00 that Van's owes me for my backordered parts. Van's silence on laser cut parts is deafening.

Just a WAG: I think they will announce their plan dealing with LCPs after February 12, when they are absolved of all responsibility about any pre-chapter 11 quality issues.

Then, anything they do do -- anything at all-- will be them doing more than required by law (aka, the "right thing.")

Back