What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans EGT CHT at tickover..... low RPM

WAM120RV

Well Known Member
Hi Guys

Having moved my 4 to the airfield I have started to follow Mahlons advice about ground runs prior to the first flight. However, I am not getting any temperature indication from the Vans EGT/CHT set up. I ran the engine about 2 years ago with just one cylinder hooked up and seem to remember I did not get any reading until the RPM got quite high.

I converted it to a 4 channel system now do not see any temp increase at low RPMs. I have checked the wiring it looks fine....maybe I am not revving high enough to raise the temps high enough to get onto the scale.

So, with Vans guages what EGT/CHT do you expect to see at tick over...... what sort of RPM would you expect to see the temps come up.

I just installed a new EI bar graph EGT/CHT UBG-16

I am scrambling to get a new speed mod in and I have not read the full set of manuals yet but at low rpm early in the ground run at least tha bars are flat and the digital readouts are low. I have a Lycoming O-360-A1A but it has recently installed high compression pistons with the same bore and stroke but several other mods internally and a lot of custom baffling in the lower cowl. At 2700 rpm, peak EGT on Cylinder #4 is less than 1200F and #2 is 1283F 1 and 3 peak somewhere in between. With the mixture richened to #2 at 1208F, WOT, manifold Pressure 28in, 2,750 ft MSL, CHTs were 1=337F, 2=326F, 3=343F, 4=326F, Surface temp. on the ATIS (Airport Terminal Information Service) was 34C and the altimeter was 30.01 in.Hg. My OAT (probably in error) read 36C at 2,750 MSL. I am still working on my own procedures for the engine so this is just a random snapshot but from what I have seen so far I don't think your experience is unusual.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
If you are having problems with the gauges reading anything, follow the test procedures that were supplied with each gauge.

On EGT you should have a reading within a few minutes of tick over. Cht will take longer to show on the gauge...... maybe 10 minutes.

Readings

Bob

Thanks this helps I am worried about running too hard or long at this stage of the break-in and getting things too hot....... heat is the enemy!! I will run it up to the next stage of what Mahlon suggests tomorrow. I too have modified the cooling system to a sealed plenum I hope your mods work out well for you.

Gasman, thanks the only thing that has changed from when they were definately working is a 4 way switch and probes on all cylinders. So, I dont suspect the guages....I am pretty sure now that I am not putting out enough power to get readings so will see what happens tomorrow.

Back