What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Under the knees storage

walkman

Well Known Member
I want to install some under the knee pockets or storage in my -6. This for emergency items I might need quickly in flight (hand held, flashlight), those other odds and ends we carry, and possibly heavier items from baggage to keep cg forward. There is plenty of room under my knees. Pockets on the sides get annoying when the contents press on my leg all the time on longer flights.

I was thinking of getting a bungee tailgate net for a pickup truck and cutting it up.

Anyone got any better ideas?

I have something similar to this attached using Velcro in front of both seats in my 6. It is large enough to hold pens, checklists, charts etc, It could hold a small flashlight too, but definitely not enough stuff to move your CG

9252.jpg

I have mounted my fire extingusiher in this location on the pilots side. I also have a small bag (think toiletry bag) there also to hold my wallet, cell phone, pens, pencils flashlights etc.

The between the knees location is easily accessible during flight.

On the passenger side I have a small emergency toolbag.

Fabbed some angle brackets bolted in using the through-spar bolts to serve as a base to mount the heavy stuff (fire extingusher and tool bag). Mounted the small ditty bag via a bracket that velcros into the same velcro that holds the seat cushion.

Larger storage could be had using a camera bag. These come in a variety of sizes at your local Best Buy or similar.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to sketch up a triangular bag that could sit in that space, and send the idea to someone like Bison Bags (who make the *excellent* behind-the-seat bags). They could attach with a flap that velcro's to the top of the spar, under the seat cushion. It would be a great way to get some baggage weight forward (water bottles, handheld backup radio?).

Of course, another idea was to have a tank made that could sit there, to hold smoke oil...

Pockets

I did the same thing. I had Classic Aero make a couple pockets that are velcro'd to the panels on the front side of the spars and this works really great for maps, flashlight, batteries, etc.

I've been meaning to sketch up a triangular bag that could sit in that space, and send the idea to someone like Bison Bags (who make the *excellent* behind-the-seat bags). They could attach with a flap that velcro's to the top of the spar, under the seat cushion. It would be a great way to get some baggage weight forward (water bottles, handheld backup radio?).

Of course, another idea was to have a tank made that could sit there, to hold smoke oil...

This sounds interesting. There's a lot of space under (my) legs. I think I might stop by a fabric store and see if I can find something I make a mock up with.

Does bison make custom one-offs or are you thinking they might make them for sale.

I want to install some under the knee pockets or storage in my -6. This for emergency items I might need quickly in flight (hand held, flashlight), those other odds and ends we carry, and possibly heavier items from baggage to keep cg forward. There is plenty of room under my knees. Pockets on the sides get annoying when the contents press on my leg all the time on longer flights.

I was thinking of getting a bungee tailgate net for a pickup truck and cutting it up.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Years ago, I used a car trunk cargo net and installed in on the front of my spar with Adel clamps and tie straps. I have my overnight airplane supply kit, first aid kit, tool bag and canopy cover in that location.

Does bison make custom one-offs or are you thinking they might make them for sale.

I was hoping for something that was made to the same high quality standard and with the same materials as my existing behind-the-seat bags, which I really love. I really don't need a baggage compartment for 90% of my flying right now, they hold so much, and hold it so well.

tool belts

I got two tool belts from Home Depot, cut off the belt part and riveted a flat plate on the back of the belt portion and the compartment. I put velcro on the plates and on the top and forward part of the spar. The tool belts velcro in place and can be removed for the annual etc. The tool compartments hold my checklist, flight guide, sunglasses, flashlight etc and do not interfere with my legs and are easy to reach even with the harness tight.

Back