What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UL POWER REVIEWS

Olivier

I'm New Here
I am considering UL power 520 firewall forward kit for my future RV7 but like many, I really don't know the reputation of these engines.
Is it worth to consider it ?
Rgds
Olivier

I've already decided to go with the UL520iSA (aerobatic, with inverted oil built in), with the Airmaster electric CS prop. I've been corresponding with the US distributor (in Florida), and got to look at the engine and ask a lot of questions at Airventure this year. The engine is lighter than a Lycoming, so it requires an 8" engine mount extension. They now provide the engine mount extension and the fiberglass cowl.

The builder in the Netherlands has several very good videos about the selection, installation and operation of the engine.

They started out building high performance race car engines for the European market, then felt they had a great base for an aircraft engine.

I recently read on a Zenith forum about some trouble they have had with a new piston design that did not work out, so I'm watching that.

Cost is comparable to a Lycoming, but with a 6-8 week lead time (at least last I asked).

UL Power

I have a 260is in my RV12. Engine purchased in 2014 and first flight in July 2016. Only issue I have had was a seeping rear crank seal at around 500hr. Replacement seal was a better design. Was a simple task with engine in plane.
Always starts and runs flawlessly. I have dual alternators and redundant ECUs.
Almost exclusive mogas use. Still using original plugs and now at 820hr hobbs.
Latest compression check one 77/80 three 78/80. I am a happy camper when carbureted ULS was the only available engine from Vans at the time of build.

It seems very popular among the Zenith builders, lot less popular for Van's builders.

Van's builders get very favorable pricing on engines. Maybe that helps drive a high adoption rate for Lycoming engines. There's also the fear of having an unusual engine that hurts the resale value.

What is the price difference between the UL engine and the Lycoming (via Van's)?

Van's builders get very favorable pricing on engines. Maybe that helps drive a high adoption rate for Lycoming engines. There's also the fear of having an unusual engine that hurts the resale value.

What is the price difference between the UL engine and the Lycoming (via Van's)?

Reviewing Van's pricing online shows a YIO-360-A1B6 (200Hp 4 cylinder) at $48,650.

The UL 520iS (200hp, 6 cylinder) is currently at about $41k, but can vary with Euro exchange rates. However, that 41k includes FADEC ignition and injection, baffling, alternator and the exhaust system, which the Lycoming does not, so the price gap is really quite a bit greater. If you're feeling froggy, you can get the 520 Turbo for about $10k more, but I suspect the safety police will come along and naysay that idea quickly noting the inability of pilots to actually control the black knob at speed. {heartfelt sarcasm}

Last edited:
Reviewing Van's pricing online shows a YIO-360-A1B6 (200Hp 4 cylinder) at $48,650.

The UL 520iS (200hp, 6 cylinder) is currently at about $41k, but can vary with Euro exchange rates. However, that 41k includes FADEC ignition and injection, baffling, alternator and the exhaust system, which the Lycoming does not, so the price gap is really quite a bit greater. If you're feeling froggy, you can get the 520 Turbo for about $10k more, but I suspect the safety police will come along and naysay that idea quickly noting the inability of pilots to actually control the black knob at speed. {heartfelt sarcasm}

UL engines also come with a complete wiring harness.

Back