What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak EFIS AP Screen Issue

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
My RV has a TruTrak EFIS autopilot. It works great, but every once in a while the screen goes wonky. It starts with horizontal streaks and quickly the entire screen becomes multicolored horizontal lines reminiscent of an 80's TV on the fritz (some of you may be old enough to remember this!)

It did this a few years ago and I sent it to Andrew at Trutrak who fixed it. Unfortunately I'm unable to get a hold of him, and quite frankly I have a feeling it's going to keep doing this every few years so I'd like to be able to just fix it myself. I suspect it's a loose or corroded connection inside, but before I tear into it I figured I'd ask the brain trust on VAF to see if someone has fixed it before?

And yeah, I could just replace with a modern supported EFIS with a built in autopilot (Dynon, G3X, GRT, etc...) but my plane was the prototype for the TruTrak autopilot RV8 install. My Dad was good friends with Jim Youngkin, and told me stories of them doing the first test flights. I'd kinda like to keep it as long as I can.

I don’t know how to fix it but I do have a spare TruTrak EFIS unit ( circa 2012) I just removed from a plane ( replaced it with a modern GRT installation ) - I don’t have any use for this so if anyone is interested , it is free of charge.

Attachments

• IMG_5003.jpg
    IMG_5003.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 29
Sounds like a good solution with taking the other unit…but…

The issue you are seeing is likely centered around the cable/connector between the main board and the LCD. You CAN pull the cover off, remove the display cable from the board, clean the contacts with alcohol and an q-tip or similar and replace it. The cable may have glue holding it place, if so, you can use “shoe goo” to secure it again after cleaning both sets of contacts.

My email is in my signature. Shoot me a message and I can help further if needed.

Same thing happened to mine, followed Andrew’s coaching and fixed it. Still have left over shoe goo.

Back