What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traffic Near Miss

Brantel

Well Known Member
Last week I had the closest "Near Miss" I have ever experienced...

I was just Southeast of my Phase I airport of KMOR @ 6000ft headed East when I just happened to see what I think was a Cardinal with retractable gear zoom past me about 150-200yrds off my right wingtip. We were on 180° courses relative to each other and eyeball to eyeball! That pilot I think saw me before I saw him as he was rocking his wings. I was thinking about cleaning out my pants. From the time I saw him till he passed was about 5 seconds total.

Keep in mind that during this time I was not heads down and I was scanning the area, this threat came on fast!!!

I know I was not following the cardinal altitude rules...I was not in cruise mode and was doing some testing at constant altitudes.

Phase I is a tough time since you are trapped in a bubble and you are almost forced to be spending alot of time not looking outside and not following the cardinal altitude rules due to testing and not being in cruise mode.

Based on this occurrence, I immediately bought me a Zaon XRX and a new Aera 510 to go with it and it should get here this week.

I know that the Zaon will not catch all traffic but if it can increase the visibility of the number of threat aircraft I know about by even a few percent, it is worth it!!! My guess is that it will increase that percentage by way more than just a few percent.

Last edited:
Hey

Well we are all glad you didnt disassemble your aircraft in mid air, further, glad to hear you are helping with the economic recovery by spending the bucks.
Get back up there. Fly safe:eek:

Last week I had the closest "Near Miss" I have ever experienced...

I was just Southeast of my Phase I airport of KMOR @ 6000ft headed East when I just happened to see what I think was a Cardinal with retractable gear zoom past me about 150-200yrds off my right wingtip. We were on 180? courses relative to each other and eyeball to eyeball! That pilot I think saw me before I saw him as he was rocking his wings. I was thinking about cleaning out my pants. From the time I saw him till he passed was about 5 seconds total.

Keep in mind that during this time I was not heads down and I was scanning the area, this threat came on fast!!!

I know I was not following the cardinal altitude suggestions...I was not in cruise mode and was doing some testing at constant altitudes.

Phase I is a tough time since you are trapped in a bubble and you are almost forced to be spending alot of time not looking outside and not following the cardinal altitude suggestions due to testing and not being in cruise mode.

Based on this occurrence, I immediately bought me a Zaon XRX and a new Aera 510 to go with it and it should get here this week.

I know that the Zaon will not catch all traffic but if it can increase the visibility of the number of threat aircraft I know about by even a few percent, it is worth it!!! My guess is that it will increase that percentage by way more than just a few percent.
You will be pleased with the Zaon. I have been flying with it for over two years now. It is amazing the number of "hits" it sees that alert me to traffic before I can ever find anything.

I have a question though concerning your comments on not being able to fly appropriate altitudes during Phase I flying. Why not? What processes are going to keep anyone from doing so? I am very concerned myself about flying in the "opposite" directions for any length of time so would be very leery of doing so consistently during Phase I.

It is hard to fly a 4 leg box pattern at the same altitude if you follow the cardinal altitude rules, somewhere along that pattern, you will not be following the suggestions. I chose IFR altitude because it was a clear VMC day and most IFR traffic should have been higher than 6K....

Phase I requires compromises!!!

I have a question though concerning your comments on not being able to fly appropriate altitudes during Phase I flying. Why not? What processes are going to keep anyone from doing so? I am very concerned myself about flying in the "opposite" directions for any length of time so would be very leery of doing so consistently during Phase I.

Last edited:
I am was thinking about the 510 and xrx. Your experience really solidifies the decision.

XRX user report

Yesterday I was returning to KDET and was inside the 15 mile radius. When I contacted the tower I noticed a target inside my 2 mile circle directly behind me and near the same altitude. I asked the tower - they have radar - and they said it was many miles behind me. We reconfirmed my location and "idented" to be sure. I was still seeing the target as close and tower said he was 12 miles from me. He must have had a really strong transponder. The XRX measures distance based on the strength of the signal.

I'm OK with this kind of "error" because it does not create a hazard. I really like having it and I display its information on my GRT as well as on my '496.

I would recommend it to all GA pilots.

Radar Services?

Any chance to get flight following? If possible, along with the traffic scope
should help increase safety a lot.

Possibly flying at X,250 or X,750' msl

during your Phase I may help to, as most of us usually fly at X,500 or X,000. Like Don said too, I always get traffic advisories when practicing if able.

That's a great idea! I am sure that if you called and asked for traffic alerts while you are testing in their area explaining your situation they would be willing to help. At least here in our area, I have always found that ATC is most willing to help the pilots out. That of course, in no way negates your responsibility to see and avoid other traffic, but it could sure help. Good luck with your testing Brantel.

He must have had a really strong transponder. The XRX measures distance based on the strength of the signal.

Typically the "big boys" have high power transponders so they will show up as being closer than they actually are. And that"s a good thing.

As far as phase I testing, remember you are prohibited from flight testing "over densely populated areas or in congested airways". Always be careful.

It is my understanding that this error could be caused by a combination of factors like the other plane could have had a high power transponder and the fact that the Zaon calculated based on signal strength but also takes the shadowing of the tail into consideration as well. If the traffic was a high power model and was actually outside of the shadow but the Zaon thought it was, it would show much closer than actual.

Like you I am OK with a warning that is closer than actual!!!

Yesterday I was returning to KDET and was inside the 15 mile radius. When I contacted the tower I noticed a target inside my 2 mile circle directly behind me and near the same altitude. I asked the tower - they have radar - and they said it was many miles behind me. We reconfirmed my location and "idented" to be sure. I was still seeing the target as close and tower said he was 12 miles from me. He must have had a really strong transponder. The XRX measures distance based on the strength of the signal.

I'm OK with this kind of "error" because it does not create a hazard. I really like having it and I display its information on my GRT as well as on my '496.

I would recommend it to all GA pilots.

Errors

I've been flying with a Traffic Scope VRX for 6 years and love it. I'd like to try the Zaon as I'm assuming it is better. Very nice to have directional warnings too!

I use the VRX in club planes as a portable, so I do not have the static line hooked into the plane's sytem. At times the VRX and transponder will show slightly different pressure altitudes and that seems to make the VRX show very close traffic +/- 100 feet or some times at the same altitude. Just something to be aware of.

Last edited:
You know I have never used flight following for testing where I am going to remain in a pretty small area and withing a block of altitudes...Might try that... KTYS is about 37NM from the center of my 40NM phase I radius.

I do know that flight following is not always gonna guarantee traffic separation. I have experienced a few controllers that are not as on top of it as others.

I've been using flight following pretty frequently lately and they have been great with me. Yesterday I was doing some higher altitude testing and cg stuff. Ended up having no targets even close the whole time but it felt better knowing they knew I was there.

during your Phase I may help to, as most of us usually fly at X,500 or X,000. Like Don said too, I always get traffic advisories when practicing if able.

That's a great idea! I am sure that if you called and asked for traffic alerts while you are testing in their area explaining your situation they would be willing to help. At least here in our area, I have always found that ATC is most willing to help the pilots out. That of course, in no way negates your responsibility to see and avoid other traffic, but it could sure help. Good luck with your testing Brantel.

Traffic please be advised I am in the area??????

Just thought I would pass this along.
I built around the world sail boats and got this comment from one driver:

We saw a good number of growlers (ice bergs) during the day as we went as far south as we could.

Me: What about at night? Does that concern you? You know sailing at night.

Answer: No Never saw one at night.

Me: Silence.... Hair standing up on end?..

Flight following is invaluable

when doing any work above our airport or in the box. We are about 15 miles from a class C and they are very helpful. I would not fly phase 1 without it! I know most of the approach guys by name!

Back