What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Toggle switches for mags

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I plan to eliminate the ACI switch and install two toggle switches for the mag/Surefly. What switches do you use. I would prefer locking toggles but open to suggestions. Also what do you use for the start switch When replacing the ACI. Thanks….

I plan to eliminate the ACI switch and install two toggle switches for the mag/Surefly. What switches do you use. I would prefer locking toggles but open to suggestions. Also what do you use for the start switch When replacing the ACI. Thanks….
I use the ON-ON-MOM locking toggles like these from Stein.
https://www.steinair.com/product/locking-toggle-switch-p-mag-test-on-on-mom/

I wired my two mags like a starter as described by Mich48041 in post #10 of this thread.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/how-would-i-wire-2-mag-switches-like-a-starter.134260/

Been working well for me so far.

I used two Carling DPDT switches from Stein for my two ignition switches (SureFly on the left, non-impulse Slick on the right. Wired in such a way that the only way the start cycle can work is with the left switch on, right switch off, and the master switch on. Any other combination and the starter won’t engage. Impossible to engage the starter with the wrong ignition selected.

I protected the switches with guards from Stein:

My start button is also from Stein:

Works fine……

Attachments

• 9BD7A699-4FB5-4ABB-97F1-1FF9A73098E1.jpeg
    9BD7A699-4FB5-4ABB-97F1-1FF9A73098E1.jpeg
    884.4 KB · Views: 69
Definately lever-lock style switches to avoid accidental tripping. Honeywell TL series switches are bullet-proof. Many options including off-on or off-on-mom like stated earlier. Available from any electronics supply house (Digikey, Mouser, Newark, etc).
I like having the start button on the stick. An enable switch (off-on) elsewhere (in-line with the start) to disable and provide a bit of theft proofing. Active hi annunciation on G3X to tell when enable switch is armed.

Two SPST toggles, one single pole momentary push button on the panel for the starter. Has worked flawlessly for 25 years. One SureFly, one Slick.

Locking pull to swing (marked "Ignition"). Don't push the start button if the engine is running ...

Attachments

• panel crop.jpg
    panel crop.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 89
For those with the Aerosport carbon fiber panel; I'd bought the same red start switch and guard from Stein as Scott posted above. But I really wanted something labeled "Start" and I'm not a fan of the other style switch Stein sells.

A lot of the generic start switches online are labeled "Start/Stop." I wanted an OE quality switch only labeled "Start."

After some searching, I found this Start switch that was used on a variety of Can-Am products (Part# 710002594).

It fits the Aerosport panel like it was made for it.

Start Switch.jpgStart Switch 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've swapped 3 panels (RV-6, Stearman and Bucker) from a key switch to 2 toggles for mags and a start button. The toggles are #12-100 from ACS, the start buttons are #10-00821from ACS. The start button may be a tad low tech looking for a modern RV panel, but great for the vintage planes, and easy to not press when you don't want to ;). The switch guards are from Perehelion Designs. All have worked well, and haven't lost a key yet!;)

Cheers,
Bob

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_4398.jpeg

IMG_3189.jpeg

I just used plain Mil toggles, but they are out of the way in a dedicated sub-panel. High quality Otto start switch with guard.

IMG_0062.jpg

So I have a Surefly on the right and a Bendix impulse on the left so I keep both mags firing on start up. What’s the purpose of the momentary switch. Is anyone using a typical keyed start switch (magless). I know a key is not much of an anti theft, but it will at least stop the dumb ones.

I used 2 DPDT switches and 1 "Engine Start" push button switch, all purchased from Stein. I wired them per Nuckoll's instructions.

Attachments

• MagnetoSwitchOptions.pdf
    824.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I have used this set up on several planes and it works well for me.
standard toggle switches for mags and a off/on/(on) switch and LED for the starter.
the stater switch is obviously off in the off position. In the middle position the starter circuit is armed and the light comes on. In thIs position I can use a remote momentary switch on the infinity grip to start or use the momentary on function of the toggle. After start up I turn off the starter circuit. A relay is used as part of the circuit to make it work.
I like it but YMMV
i have a circuit drawing if you are interested.

Attachments

• IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
For those with the Aerosport carbon fiber panel; I'd bought the same red start switch and guard from Stein as Scott posted above. But I really wanted something labeled "Start" and I'm not a fan of the other style switch Stein sells.

A lot of the generic start switches online are labeled "Start/Stop." I wanted an OE quality switch only labeled "Start."

After some searching, I found this Start switch that was used on a variety of Can-Am products (Part# 710002594).

It fits the Aerosport panel like it was made for it.

View attachment 58983View attachment 58984
Similar, but a momentary labeled around the switch.

Attachments

• IMG_5247.png
    IMG_5247.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 32
Back