What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up Weather Seal

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I‘m sure this will become evident once I put the canopy frame in place, but looking for some wisdom ahead of that time. If I don’t plan on having the in-flight canopy jettison setup, is there any reason I can’t make the thin piece of angle that the weather strip sets on be one continuous piece and span the gap at the canopy hinge location? How high does the hinge rise up when open? Living in the Pacific Northwest, I’m just trying to get ahead of the rain. I’ve found many threads on the topic of leaks, but unfortunately all of the ”this is how I did it and it works great” posts I’ve found are super old and the pictures are no longer available.

FDF4DF4B-0662-4F29-92E4-357976B1E38420240331_145212.jpeg

Yup -- see attached. It's a "T" shape piece of .020" with a little joggle in it. The "ears" of the "T" mount under the seal flange.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 9.56.10 AM.png

You might want to reconsider the "no canopy jettison" option.
I have an RV-6A tip up I bought finished and had to install the jettison parts after the plane was completed so I could build another panel for it.
You have the parts in the kit. No reason to not install them in my opinion.
I got some news for you!!!!! IT is a real bugger to install the parts later.
If you EVER want to remove the canopy in the future, you will hate yourself for not doing it right to begin with.
NO I never intend to use the jettison to bail out of the plane. And I have skydived before.
BUT I have used it to remove the canopy many times.
Don't not do it.
BUT my luck varies FIXIT

Perhaps installing the thin piece of angle without riveting it in a way that can be removed if needs be. It is just supporting the weather strip so it does not need to be super strong.

Some things to consider. As mentioned, for maintenance. I’ve used the canopy release numerous times while building, fitting my canopy. Using the canopy release, on the ground, for egress in an upset. It really seems to me to be more work, as a whole, to not put it in.

I'm installing a new panel now and it's been extremely helpful to be able to remove the canopy. I would include it if possible.

Also, I found that when I tried to remove it for the first time (not the builder) only one side released. It took removing the retaining spring and allowing the handle to have additional throw to release it. If you're planning on the option of bailing out, make sure you test the release on the ground.

As noted above it is advantageous to have the mechanism installed for future removals however many of us do not have the handle in the panel. Instead we shortened the handle push-rod and mounted it on the sub-panel. As the hole in the sub-panel is large and doesn't allow you to use a simple bushing for the handle like the Instrument Panel, I installed a nutplate on the sub-panel and secured the handle with a p-clamp. In this way you can still use it but its not taking up Instrument Panel real estate.

The weather strip doesn't need to be cut and can remain one continuous piece from side to side.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I probably confused matters with my verbiage when I said I'm not installing the "in flight" jettison setup. I just meant that I won't have the handle come through to the panel for use as a bail out kind of thing. I'll put the rest of the mechanism in place to be able to remove the canopy otherwise. I wasn't sure if that changed what was possible with weather seal, but sounds like not really.

This is what I did for the canopy release mechanism. The canopy can only be released by opening up the front deck access covers. The original lever based mechanism is still there, but not brought out to the front panel.Panel-Radio Ribs2.jpg

Yes, as has been said, very helpful to be able to remove the canopy on occasion for mtc or upgrades. As others have done, I modified things so the handle is straight down to the bottom of the sub-panel bulkhead. It is still accessible in flight, although I don't think I would ever use it then. No wasted panel space that way.

Thanks everyone. I probably confused matters with my verbiage when I said I'm not installing the "in flight" jettison setup. I just meant that I won't have the handle come through to the panel for use as a bail out kind of thing. I'll put the rest of the mechanism in place to be able to remove the canopy otherwise. I wasn't sure if that changed what was possible with weather seal, but sounds like not really.
Get a locking cable and you can put the release anywhere. I did. It's on the far left side of the panel out of way of anything else. I can get to it when I am struggling to get the canopy off by myself. It works and is real easy to use
I like mine. FIXIT

You should make sure you have a way to remove the canopy, but as for emergency jettison, forget it. You may get the front hinges to release, but unless you have a way to release the gas struts the canopy isn't going anywhere.

Back