What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-Up Side Latch Handle Spring

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Who has come up with a good way to keep the spring of the side handle mechanism from riding up on top of the C-609 canopy latch? I know there are mods I could buy to replace the entire standard setup, but I don't see any reason to do that. The spring is the only part I'd like to deal with, since when it jumps up on top of 609, it binds and makes the mechanism sticky to operate. There needs to be a bigger bumper on the front of 609, but that's easier said than done since the wire has an arc path and can't just go through a simple hole. I may try 3D printing something, but not sure I can mount anything solidly enough to 609.

20240420_113259.jpg

Yep, I remember tying that setup and thinking I could come up with a something I liked better. Below is what mine looks like. The clevis is from Ray Allen....same one used for the RV trim servos (http://www.rayallencompany.com). The Van's supplied wire is replaced with an AN3 bold shank (ie: cut the head off a long enough AN3 bolt, threaded end of the bolt shank goes into the clevis). The clevis pin, AN3 jam nut and washer are standard AN hardware. I might have had to replace the Van's supplied spring with one that had a 3/16 inner diameter (too long ago....don't remember :unsure: ).

build 2-116.jpg

Yep, I remember tying that setup and thinking I could come up with a something I liked better. Below is what mine looks like. The clevis is from Ray Allen....same one used for the RV trim servos (http://www.rayallencompany.com). The Van's supplied wire is replaced with an AN3 bold shank (ie: cut the head off a long enough AN3 bolt, threaded end of the bolt shank goes into the clevis). The clevis pin, AN3 jam nut and washer are standard AN hardware. I might have had to replace the Van's supplied spring with one that had a 3/16 inner diameter (too long ago....don't remember :unsure: ).
I like that approach. The other thing I may consider is reversing the spring direction, like the JDAir latch does. So instead of it being a spring that pushes from the front side, attach it from the rear to pull on the front latch instead.

1714165969929.png

How about filing a small notch on each side of the rod to capture the end of the spring?

Back