What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Pearls of Wisdom

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Since this is the "tips" section, maybe we should start a thread that collects real advice that helps people to complete their RV's, and not just contribute to the statistics of "never-to-be-finished" homebuilts....

I will start with a couple of pearls that were given to me by RV-8A builder Bill Marvel when he found out that I was going to begin a project myself. He told me:

1) When you go to the shop, tell yourself that you are going to complete a specific task - not just "work on the plane". It might be a small task (rivet on the data plate), and it only might be a continuation of a long and involved process (sand and put one more coat of epoxy on the cowl), but having a specific goal for each session will allow you to see accomplishments every day!

2) If you want to fly in a short period of time, treat the airplane build as a second job. You have your primary job (to earn money to feed the family and buy airplane parts), and then your second job of building the airplane. Some people formulate this as "do something every day, even if it is for only a few minutes". I have averaged 3 to 4 hours every night, and a good 8 eight hours on weekend days, since I began. And of course, when you take vacation, you are on vacation from BOTH jobs!

These two pieces of advice have been forefront in my mind every day - thanks Bill!

I would add a couple more from my own experience:

3) Always have alternative projects (on the airplane) to jump to when you get stumped on something. If you are working on the canopy, and run into a problem you can't solve that day, switch to the cowling. Don't lose a build session because you get stuck! There is ALWAYS something else to work on!

4) If the quality of the work starts going down during a build session, stop and clean the shop for the rest of the evening - this always needs doing anyway, and you'll prevent yourself from messing stuff up!

5) When makign what seem to be repetetive parts, stop after each one and check the plans - there are probably subtle diffferences that you will spot on subsequent reviews!

6) If pre-punched parts don't line up, assume that you have screwed up, consult the plans, and figure out your mistake. Van's does screw up occasionally, but much less oftne that I do! :D

Paul Dye
RV-8 Finish kit

Pearls of wisdom

Great "pearls"! I'd like to toss a couple in that have helped me:

• If it seems really hard, you're probably doing it wrong.
  • When working with fiberglass, impatience is the enemy.

Great tips

Paul and Mickey: Wish I would have read your tips 2 years ago. I would have finished sooner.

My addition to this thread:

When you get tired, STOP! 9 out of 10 of my screw ups were at the end of the work session when I was getting impatient and was really tired. If your are not mentally and physically prepared you shouldn't fly or build.

More:

1. If you live in an area where there are lot's of RV builders, be sure to communicate, because it's very possible that others may have expertise on things that you might need help with, and you might have expertise on things where you can help others.
In short, don't be afraid to trade knowledge with others on a "hands on" basis. We can save each other a lot of time if we share our knowledge and time with each other.

2. Don't replace your family with your RV.
But in the event you do get all wrapped up in the project while building, write the names of your wife and kids on a wall in your workshop just in case you have to recall them while discussing the divorce with your attorney.

3. In the event you injure yourself while building, be sure to place the severed body part in the refrigerator BEFORE you finish the task you were doing. The surgeons really appreciate that.

Remember the family

2. Don't replace your family with your RV.
That's a good one. I've got a simple solution for that - country music on the ipod. A few random Kenny Chesney songs and you want to go hug the kids! :)

When Tired stop - and buy some glasses

Build9A said:
When you get tired, STOP! 9 out of 10 of my screw ups were at the end of the work session when I was getting impatient and was really tired. If your are not mentally and physically prepared you shouldn't fly or build.

You could be talking about me here. Almost all my screw ups happen at the end of the day, or after a days work when I just want to do something on the plane and end up drilling the hole in the wrong place or something stupid.

My contribution - if you are getting to your 40's go and buy some reading glasses. I found that I was marking stuff up right and then still messing it up. In the end I realized I couldn't see it clearly when I was getting in close to do the work. A few $ on a pair of reading glasses from the pharmacy and it all became clear - in more ways than one. Long sightedness is insidious - it creeps up on you.

Oh, those nut plates....

Here is a tip I have never read before, but realized is one of the best timesavers I have found during the build!

If you're building an RV, you will begin counting #8 nutplates in your sleep. For every #8 nutplate, there is a corresponding #8 screw. Every one of the pieces held on by those screws will be removed and replaced countless times during the build process. Save your screws....a 1/8" cleco holds perfectly in a #8 nutplate....

Paul Dye

Last edited:
Clecos in Nutplates

Ironflight said:
Save your screws....a 1/8" cleco holds perfectly in a #8 nutplate....
Particularly on the wing root fairings - right? :)

Back