What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The K&N Oil filter HP1002 or HP2004 the 1002 seems to be the preference why?

jj13

I've been using the K&N HP2004 without any issues. I noticed in the Dan H. 5Th filter evaluation thread that the people there are using the HP1002. The HP2004 is larger having more filter area, a plus. The bypass pressure is lower, but more filter surface area would decrease the overall pressure, so that seems like a wash. So my question is is there something I'm missing and should I switch to the HP1002?
I have a IO-320 pulling a RV9A.

Thanks

I'd only use New Old Stock made in USA stamped cans, ala the old ex Casper labs type. The nut weld has caused leaks in a few years K&N 204s when used to install and was banned at many tracks. Mexico or Korea made after USA is now stamped on the filter cans.

I was a long time HP2004 user.

For now, the 35 micron FLO filter looked great at first oil change. Easier to inspect and clean.

I've been using the K&N HP2004 without any issues. I noticed in the Dan H. 5Th filter evaluation thread that the people there are using the HP1002. The HP2004 is larger having more filter area, a plus. The bypass pressure is lower, but more filter surface area would decrease the overall pressure, so that seems like a wash. So my question is is there something I'm missing and should I switch to the HP1002?
I have a IO-320 pulling a RV9A.

Thanks

Years ago I purchased a Casper Labs oil filter adapter for my O-320. Bill recommended using the K&N HP1002, which he said used to be a certified aviation filter before K&N purchased it. He said they kept the same spec but not the certification. Been using them for over 1200 hrs in both O-320 and O-360 engines with no issues. I will soon be trying a PC Racing filter with a 35 micron SS washable element which is similar to the Challenger or S15 filters. Can't wait for the filter test. FWIW.

Years ago I purchased a Casper Labs oil filter adapter for my O-320. Bill recommended using the K&N HP1002, which he said used to be a certified aviation filter before K&N purchased it. He said they kept the same spec but not the certification. Been using them for over 1200 hrs in both O-320 and O-360 engines with no issues. I will soon be trying a PC Racing filter with a 35 micron SS washable element which is similar to the Challenger or S15 filters. Can't wait for the filter test. FWIW.
I, too, started using the K&N HP1002 because it was recommended by Casper Labs. Used to buy them from Walmart. I have recently gone to the Wix 51348HP. I cut every filter after running them for 50 hours. All perfect. Every Blackstone oil analysis came back good. The Wix doesn't have provision for safety wire. I don't use a safety wire.

Back