What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel replacement... probable axle size ACS

FabricGATOR

Greeting R-Vaviators

I am about 30 miles away from the hangar and shopping on Aircraft Spruce for a replacement tail wheel (it has a very flat spot)

Currently installed is R&K 6 x 2.125 and ACS has two that meet the criteria. I am presuming (assUme) that the difference is the axle size? Shame on me for not measuring/writing it down, I thought it was a long AN 6 (3/8") bolt and had I used a wrench (9/16) I would remember...

Can any of you builders/maintainers help me choose so I likely get it right the first time?

Maybe the 1/2" -VS- 5/8" offering is something else like sidewall ? I'd have to say that sidewall is (was) more like 1" or 1 1/4"...

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated...
Cheers!

Perhaps even an upgrade suggestion?

Pic from ACS:
1714657490881.png

Greeting R-Vaviators

I am about 30 miles away from the hangar and shopping on Aircraft Spruce for a replacement tail wheel (it has a very flat spot)

Currently installed is R&K 6 x 2.125 and ACS has two that meet the criteria. I am presuming (assUme) that the difference is the axle size? Shame on me for not measuring/writing it down, I thought it was a long AN 6 (3/8") bolt and had I used a wrench (9/16) I would remember...

Can any of you builders/maintainers help me choose so I likely get it right the first time?

Maybe the 1/2" -VS- 5/8" offering is something else like sidewall ? I'd have to say that sidewall is (was) more like 1" or 1 1/4"...

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated...
Cheers!

Perhaps even an upgrade suggestion?

Pic from ACS:
View attachment 61959
If it is a Van's tailwheel assembly (and some others) it will take a 3/8" (or AN-6) bolt. Look up ACS part # 06-01284 if you want a light-weight upgrade. Sealed bearings. Made by FlyBoys Accessories but I see on their web site it is sold out. Popular unit! And looks pretty cool as well! ACS has them in stock and $3 less than FlyBoys shows...... 😊

My tail wheel is not standard Van's issue and has a 1/2" axle. You might need to go measure what is on your airplane before you order..... :unsure:

Last edited:
FYI - Grease Zerk

Since these wheels have been converted to sealed bearings, adding grease via the installed zerk does nothing, except add unwanted grease to the included cavity between them. Just remove the zerk and plug the hole - so as not to confuse futures "users".

HFS

That looks like the Aviation Products tailwheel that I have. Mine is 5/8" axle. There may be other options. Status of Aviation Products is a big question mark. ACS sold their products.

That looks like the Aviation Products tailwheel that I have. Mine is 5/8" axle. There may be other options. Status of Aviation Products is a big question mark. ACS sold their products.
Agree.

The Aviation Products Tailwheel used a larger diameter 5/8" axle / bolt instead of the 3/8" axle / bolt that is now used in Van's kits.

If it is a Van's tailwheel assembly (and most others) it will take a 3/8" bolt. Look up ACS part # 06-01284 if you want a light-weight upgrade. Sealed bearings. Made by FlyBoys Accessories but I see on their web site it is sold out. Popular unit! And looks pretty cool as well! ACS has them in stock and $3 less than FlyBoys shows...... 😊
Yes, thank you, I was certain it was 3/8"... my partners ( and I, too ) are thrifty and while the suggestion for the lightweight option, never mind, lightweight it is.

Agree.

The Aviation Products Tailwheel used a larger diameter 5/8" axle / bolt instead of the 3/8" axle / bolt that is now used in Van's kits.
Under ACS Q&A section for ACS part # 06-01284

it says 3/8" axle... am I to trust ACS website?
Is it ACS staff that answers these Q&A?

It is, indeed, a 3/8" (AN-6) bolt for the 06-01284 wheel. To answer your Post #8 question: if it is a standard Van's tail wheel, it takes an AN-6-30 bolt. The -8 (or half inch): I would assume it would be the same but not sure......

It is, indeed, a 3/8" (AN-6) bolt for the 06-01284 wheel. To answer your Post #8 question: if it is a standard Van's tail wheel, it takes an AN-6-30 bolt. The -8 (or half inch): I would assume it would be the same but not sure......
Thank you Roadjunkie1

I wish I could just fill a shopping cart at ACS and send it to our 'project manager' or DOM... nothing is easy
I see Vans has the direct replacement wheel in 3/8" for $35 plus s&h so what... about a hundred dollars?

According to Univair AN8-30 would likely be the closest choice in grip length and OAL without actually going 80 miles to measure it myself.
Just just going to replace like with like...

Thank you guys

I’m using the deluxe TW from Flyboys. It also has a sealed bearing and is a little lighter than the stock solid tire from Vans.
And - they have them in stock:

Great Idea, Scott. That is less than other prices, and has sealed bearings. One thing, though. I would make an internal spacer/adapter to allow one to crank down on the axle to prevent the inner race from just spinning on the axle. The sealed bearings have more drag and will do that. I greased the OEM vans bearings (290hrs and counting) and the extra drag causes some race spinning on them too.

OP - I always check Vans for prices and even with the recent increases mostly they are best. Recently found a list of small hardware favored Spruce - EEK!

If it is a Van's tailwheel assembly (and some others) it will take a 3/8" (or AN-6) bolt. Look up ACS part # 06-01284 if you want a light-weight upgrade. Sealed bearings. Made by FlyBoys Accessories but I see on their web site it is sold out. Popular unit! And looks pretty cool as well! ACS has them in stock and $3 less than FlyBoys shows...... 😊

My tail wheel is not standard Van's issue and has a 1/2" axle. You might need to go measure what is on your airplane before you order..... :unsure:
I just bought one of these 2 days ago and its shipped. Maybe I bought the last one lol

However, I'm buying it because I found a deep split in the rubber on the original (20 years, ~1,500 hrs). The split goes across the entire width and almost entire depth of the rubber. No idea how it happened. Has anyone else seen this with a FlyBoy tailwheel?

Great Idea, Scott. That is less than other prices, and has sealed bearings. One thing, though. I would make an internal spacer/adapter to allow one to crank down on the axle to prevent the inner race from just spinning on the axle. The sealed bearings have more drag and will do that. I greased the OEM vans bearings (290hrs and counting) and the extra drag causes some race spinning on them too.

OP - I always check Vans for prices and even with the recent increases mostly they are best. Recently found a list of small hardware favored Spruce - EEK!
I have been running the Deluxe TW on a Bell fork for the last 7 yrs and 750 hrs on my 7. I found it smoother and quieter running than the Vans tire. Haven't touched it since installed and still runs smoothly, although it has lost a little in diameter since installed.

However, I'm buying it because I found a deep split in the rubber on the original (20 years, ~1,500 hrs). The split goes across the entire width and almost entire depth of the rubber. No idea how it happened. Has anyone else seen this with a FlyBoy tailwheel?
Surely 20 years and 1500 hours is what anyone would call GOOD service life!!! We brag that these tires often reach 1000 hours, but 20 years might be close to the record as far as I know. How many times did that little wheel go from 0 to 60 in 0.001 seconds in that amount of time!!!?? ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY DELUXE TIRE!!!! If any Van's tailwheel tires have made it to 1500 hrs and 20 years, testify brother!!

Others have mentioned "I would make an internal spacer/adapter to allow one to crank down on the axle to prevent the inner race from just spinning on the axle". This is not necessary on the Flyboy "Deluxe" tire. These tires come with a spacer which prevents damage from over tightening on the axle nut. The spacer is 3/8" ID.

It is possible to use a 1/2" axle on these tires as that is the ID of the bearings. If you do this, just don't overtighten the axle nuts. There is NO reason to tighten them any more than snug anyway as there is a cotter pin on the axle bolt (or there should be!!).

deluxe tire 2.jpg

deluxe tire 1.jpg

Surely 20 years and 1500 hours is what anyone would call GOOD service life!!! We brag that these tires often reach 1000 hours, but 20 years might be close to the record as far as I know. How many times did that little wheel go from 0 to 60 in 0.001 seconds in that amount of time!!!?? ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY DELUXE TIRE!!!! If any Van's tailwheel tires have made it to 1500 hrs and 20 years, testify brother!!
Certainly not complaining, and not at $150 give or take. Now just gotta figure out where it is, USPS says delivered, my concierge hasn't a clue lol

Others have mentioned "I would make an internal spacer/adapter to allow one to crank down on the axle to prevent the inner race from just spinning on the axle". This is not necessary on the Flyboy "Deluxe" tire. These tires come with a spacer which prevents damage from over tightening on the axle nut. The spacer is 3/8" ID.

It is possible to use a 1/2" axle on these tires as that is the ID of the bearings. If you do this, just don't overtighten the axle nuts. There is NO reason to tighten them any more than snug anyway as there is a cotter pin on the axle bolt (or there should be!!).

View attachment 62311

View attachment 62310

Any solution to replace the API wheel with the 5/8" axle with a better / lightweight option??

Any solution to replace the API wheel with the 5/8" axle with a better / lightweight option??
We don't have a tire for that size axle.

Blake at Flyboy Accessories has several options to replace the whole shebang if it comes to that. URL in my signature line.

Could you take the FlyBoy tail wheel that is made for a 3/8" bolt (AN-6) and have that bearing pressed out and a bearing that matches the wheel but accepts the 1/2" axle pressed in? The guys who sell bearings would be all over that!! Just another thought. The FlyBoy wheel is lighter and looks pretty cool!

Could you take the FlyBoy tail wheel that is made for a 3/8" bolt (AN-6) and have that bearing pressed out and a bearing that matches the wheel but accepts the 1/2" axle pressed in? The guys who sell bearings would be all over that!! Just another thought. The FlyBoy wheel is lighter and looks pretty cool!
YEARS ago when the Dayton Murdock lightweight tailwheel first came out, I purchased one with the bearings already installed for the 5/8" Aviation Products tailwheel fork.

The API aluminum mount on the spring had worn and was ready for its second bushing. It does not come with a bushing but I had a friend (machinist) put one in. When the bushing worn out, I changed out the entire tailwheel spring assembly to what all the new tailwheel RVs come with and the Bell tailwheel fork from Flyboy Accessories.

Back