What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taildragger book or video

Any suggestions for a good book or DVD on flying taildraggers? I know the physics and have some taildragger time from the late 80s, but I intend to get the signoff and probably will need a the complete training since my experience is so old. Understanding the basics from an intellectual perspective, I'd like something that goes beyond these and includes advanced techniques and information that will serve me well past the initial transition training.

Thanks!
Brad
Still drooling over RV-8s

Brad Gould said:
Any suggestions for a good book or DVD on flying taildraggers? I know the physics and have some taildragger time from the late 80s, but I intend to get the signoff and probably will need a the complete training since my experience is so old. Understanding the basics from an intellectual perspective, I'd like something that goes beyond these and includes advanced techniques and information that will serve me well past the initial transition training.

Thanks!
Brad
Still drooling over RV-8s

I like "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche.

dd

Thanks for the suggestions!
I've found a J-3 aroudn here to train in (souped up since it has 85 hp). It doesn't sound like much to me, but it's about a 30% power boost over the standard engine, so I imagine it'll climb decently. Otherwise, if I drive twice as far, I can train in a Top Cub with fat wheels or in a Stearman. Maybe once I get the hang of things, I'll see how I do with the Stearman, which I imagin will be a blast.
Brad

FWIW, I've got both books mentioned. Though many like it, I feel Compleat is over rated. S&R on the other hand, should be required reading for every pilot... and instructor... and examiner... and FAA rep...

J3's and Champs are superb training aircraft, especially for taildragger training. They have so much adverse yaw that they force you to get your feet working as as naturally as your hands while flying...not just take off and landing.

I'm thinking of picking up a Champ myself. They just have this wonderful light and nimble feel to them while you're putting around at 50 or 60 mph. Totally different than a spam can, and totally fun.

Nose or tail

Brad,
By all means get GOOD tail wheel training. Just don't let the thoughts of the non tail wheel flyers get the better of you. The Rv- tail wheel airplanes are some of the easiest to land I ever flown.
One peice of very good advice I received so many years ago and has served me well. "Always keep the little wheel in back of the big wheels."
Rich
RV-6 275 hr.
N271ET

houndsfour said:
Brad,
Just don't let the thoughts of the non tail wheel flyers get the better of you.

"Always keep the little wheel in back of the big wheels."
Rich
RV-6 275 hr.
N271ET

That's good advice. I tend to ask what people's experience is when they volunteer advice, especially absolute-sounding advice. I've been around planes long enough to have received my fare share of emphatic advice from people who heard second hand from someone who surmised from someone else who knew a guy who read an article. . . .

I heard how Mooneys will bite you on landing: wrong.
How Aerostars are terribly hard to control, especially on one engine: wrong again (I've found then easier and more straight forward to handle than Barons, which don't have that reputation).
We've all heard how homebuilts are terribly unsafe too.
But it always seems to be from "advisors" who don't have significant first-hand experience. It reminds me of the media reports on practically any aviation topic, where they'll make authoritative, sweeping statements that are fundamentally incorrect.

Also, I've found that the scare-advice tends to be directed at aircraft that fly differently than the planes that most people are used to/learned to fly in. It just takes learning how the different kind of plane flies (and in the case of Mooneys and Aerostars, it's been a case of mastering airspeed control). Any plane is dangerous if operated unskillfully, and some planes require more skill than others, but I haven't flown a certified plane that was not conquerable with adequate experience.

Anyway, I'm approaching the taildragger as I approached flying a twin. Make sure you get excellent training. Fly different types (and eventually with different pilots/instructors) so you incorporate a deeper understanding of how things work. Keep current (every month or two I have a buddy chop power on an engine, with me under the hood, and preferably when I least expect it). And respect the limitations of the machine and pilot.

I'm looking forward to learning something new. If I don't buy another plane right away, I may add a seaplane rating too just for fun, but I think I'll end up in the market for something like a Super Decathlon while I build an RV-8.

Last edited:
Yes

Brad,
Books are OK but I've never read one on how to fly/land taildraggers and spent the money on flight time. Really, you already know how to fly the airplanes so all you now need to learn is take-off and landing a taildragger.

That Stearman time you mentioned is great time! Not being able to see over the nose will help you use your peripheral vision better too. Just practice, practice. Ain't nuthin' big!! :)

Another good book is Taming the Taildragger. I included it when I sold my Champ for the next guy. It's as close to a flight manual as there is for the Champ. Good stuff in there for any tailwheel pilot.

Pierre,
That's not true as far as older airplanes go. He might get training in an older airplane and as has already been mentioned, you must use rudder when flying too. You have to lead the turn with rudder. When I first flew my Champ I couldn't get it squared away until I learned that most flight adjustments are made with the rudder. You just need it MORE when you're landing. :)

Last edited:
Brad, I second the motion for Stick and Rudder!

It is old. It is dated. It is plain and simple flying!

I pick it up from time to time and always am glad I did!

It is just a really cool, old book!

...kinda like the Aeronca I fly from time to time is nostalgic!

;) CJ

You're right

svanarts said:
Another good book is Taming the Taildragger. I included it when I sold my Champ for the next guy. It's as close to a flight manual as there is for the Champ. Good stuff in there for any tailwheel pilot.

Pierre,
That's not true as far as older airplanes go. He might get training in an older airplane and as has already been mentioned, you must use rudder when flying too. You have to lead the turn with rudder. When I first flew my Champ I couldn't get it squared away until I learned that most flight adjustments are made with the rudder. You just need it MORE when you're landing. :)

Scott, I have over 14,000 hours of all sorts of taildragger time (17,000 total), and currently fly a 680 HP Air Tractor with a PT-6 turbine, so I know all about rudder.

The guys that make a big to-do about rudder and taildraggers overdo it. I've helped guys by just talking to them and watch them taxi a single place TD and later solo it. Yeah, some of the landings ain't pretty but they manage. There are of course easier ways to learn, like some dual but let's not make taildragger flying an albatross. :)
Regards,

Signoff

I got my tailwheel signoff yesterday in the J-3. I haven't had so much fun in an airplane in many, many years!!!!

First, I thought it would take a long time to get the hang of it. You guys were right, I just used the rudder as I always have; inputs are just required more frequently. The instructor told me, though, that I was using the pedals too much, but that I didn't overcorrect, I just did this excessive rudder dance.

The wind was a little gusty and a little crossed at somewhere near 10 knots. We also had the effects on the wind from adjacent hills. I still don't feel confident enough to rent a Cub by myself (I was tense enough at the begining that the top of my left leg felt like it was about to cramp up during my first wheel landing on pavement), but it didn't seem to be a difficult skill (and my legs relaxed by the end: I think the tension was due to the hype). Other things in aviation were much harder to pick up. Lots and lots of fun though! I'm going to go back a few more times to get my comfort level up, and to have more fun.

I was also amazed at how it felt on grass fields (I did half of my landings on one). Maybe it's just the Cub, but I'm much more used to getting jostled around on grass and feeling nose wheels trying to vibrate wildly. Is this a matter of having the main gear up front, or of the Cub itself?

Also, ground turn radius is incredible with the tailwheel unlocked. It's also pretty impressive in the air, since the speeds are so slow.

Anyway, I'm a tailwheel convert. What a blast! I want more.

Brad

Brad Gould said:
I was also amazed at how it felt on grass fields (I did half of my landings on one). Maybe it's just the Cub, but I'm much more used to getting jostled around on grass and feeling nose wheels trying to vibrate wildly. Is this a matter of having the main gear up front, or of the Cub itself?

It's a little of both. TD do tend to be smoother on grass but it's also the Cub. The landing roll on grass for a Cub is somewhere in the neighboorhood of 2 or 3 inches :D

Back