What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail light wiring

tjo

Well Known Member
I am noodling the wire routing path for the rudder mounted light. I have sone some searches, but for some reason can't find what should be either a relatively common question, or I am just missing something. Any suggestions on best routing path?

Thanks for any input,

Tim

A 3/16” - 1/4” hole drilled through the bottom hinge bracket in the Vertical Stab is pretty common practice. The wiring goes through the hole, over the lip in the rudder bottom fairing and thence to the tail light assy. Usually a bit of plastic wrapped around the wires is sufficient for anti-chafing, although some folks have put adel clamps there to stand off the wire. Pic from the RV-14 — I don’t care for this specific location, but you get the idea:

IMG_6308.jpeg

Last edited:
If you will notice, the drawing shows a vertical component within the wire between the fuselage and the rudder. This gives the wire more of a "twisting" moment than a bending moment. This is pretty important IMO.

Hmmm, I don't have that drawing, I'll see if I can get it from Vans.

Tim
All of the drawings are on your USB stick and on your account at the vans website. If you haven't set it up online yet it can be done on the website store page. You enter your builder number and maybe a couple of other things and then you have access to all of the prints and service letters for whatever model you're building including the optional part drawings

Back