What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solvent tank?

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Is everyone just buying a free standing solvent tank for cleaning parts, or do you have a different technique? I hate the idea of using can after can of brake/carb cleaner to clean wheel bearings, etc.., but also hate to buy a big solvent tank and have it sitting around to only use once or twice/year.

Thanks

Keep some solvent in a large cottage cheese container. When finished cleaning the part put the lid on and store it till next time. Works well for solvents that don't digest plastics.

Paint can

Quart or gallon paint can. No solvent will dissolve it.
Drop the bearings in. Go have lunch. Come back and finish.

Or take them to a power wash and blast them clean. A 2x4 with dowells every six inches works great. I usually spray with engine cleaner first and let them soak before blasting.
Of course don't use a pressure washer if they have plastic seals.

Have you ever asked a question where the answer was so blindingly obvious you were embarrassed you asked...

Thanks.

Question

Have you ever asked a question where the answer was so blindingly obvious you were embarrassed you asked...

Thanks.

No such thing.
One thing I've learned, there's always more to learn and I don't know squat next to most.
2nd thing, Siri and Alexa don't know anything. They only know what is put in. The folks that know, usually don't Internet. You gotta ask.

Quart or gallon paint can. No solvent will dissolve it.
Drop the bearings in. Go have lunch. Come back and finish.

Or take them to a power wash and blast them clean. A 2x4 with dowells every six inches works great. I usually spray with engine cleaner first and let them soak before blasting.
Of course don't use a pressure washer if they have plastic seals.

What's funny is that after I was done I thought Hmmm.... was that plastic rough like that before? Looked it up and Yup, brake cleaner is bad, veyr bad for plastic. And rubber. Like wheels. Oh well. I'll use them for building then replace them before she starts flying. Lesson learned.

Thank you for your time, sir.

Attachments

• matco bearings.jpg
    matco bearings.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Back