What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

So... Is Griffing Sandusky Airport (KSKY) open or not?

conlimon

Well Known Member
I'm planning a little cross country and looking at making a stop at Cedar Point amusement park for a little fun, and I'm having a terrible time figuring out if KSKY is actually closed or not. Wikipedia says closed, but it's still on the sectional and AF/D. Airport manager's phone # is disconnected, but I called a motel down the road and they said they see airplanes flying in and out. Anyone have any first hand info?

Thanks,

CJ

oh - forgot to mention that I finally finished my RV-10 and have been flying it for a few months! pretty amazing.

It's closed. I suspect the closest airport is Port Clinton. I don't know if there is simple or inexpensive transport to Cedar Point.

Port Clinton

When we went to Cedar Point last year, we flew into Port Clinton and had arranged a rental car. They did not have a shuttle at that time. I miss Griffing, as we paid a modest fee for transport to and from the on-site hotels at CP.

Odd, though. FlightAware still shows flights ending at KSKY. I wish someone would buy it and continue it as an airport, or maybe that is happening...?

We will be up there again in October this year, weather cooperating. They really do a great job decorating for Hallo-weekends. I'll try to stop by the KSKY site and see what's up.

Congrats on the RV-10, CJ. That's what I'd love to build, as the mission often requires at least 3 seats. Might even get the chance after my daughter finishes college. I like the look of the Rutan designs, but I heard from a builder that Velocity had some CG issues at one point that made insurance insanely pricey. However, I really don't care for a lot of sanding on carbon fiber and fiber glass anyway, and Van's support is legendary as are the RV builders. What a great group of people!

Last edited:
I just checked with a friend who lives in the area. He said he flew over it "a couple months ago and the runways were X out. It looked deserted."

Bummer! I hate to hear of another airport closing!

Back