What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smooth rivet heads before painting?

dwilson

Well Known Member
I have a question about finishing the skin surface before painting. The flat rivet heads on the skin surface will show after paining unless the defect between the head and the dimple are filled with something.
Is it recomended to fill this area with some sort of filler? If so, what? Auto body bondo??

Thanks,
Duane Wilson
RV9 empenage

Filling flush rivet heads can and is sometimes done. I have done it. It is NOT worth it. As long as the rivet heads are uniform they look fine. Filling them is a lot of work and after several years of vibration, the filler tends to crack. If you use a polyester filler, it will continue to shrink and the rivets will show anyway. If you must fill, don't use Bondo. It is polyester and is heavy. Use a filler with micro-baloons.
Mel...DAR

Body glaze would work better than Bondo. I doubt anything short of wrapping aluminum skins with fiberglass would work well, due to normal flexing and different expansion rates.

Dont sweat it- with aluminum construction, insignificant rivet lines are the norm. Keep it light and fast.

Mel said:
Filling flush rivet heads can and is sometimes done. I have done it. It is NOT worth it. As long as the rivet heads are uniform they look fine. Filling them is a lot of work and after several years of vibration, the filler tends to crack. If you use a polyester filler, it will continue to shrink and the rivets will show anyway. If you must fill, don't use Bondo. It is polyester and is heavy. Use a filler with micro-baloons.
Mel...DAR

Mel (or anyone else): I've seen other places where people have recommended filing rivet heads. I'm assuming this is for heads that are not completely flush, perhaps because they were not set quite as well (?). If you do this though, are you not weakening the rivet? Or is it relatively inconsequential? I certainly have a rivet here or there that didn't sit as flushly as I would have liked. Should I just forget about them and move on, or is filing them down a little an "option"?

Steve

dwilson said:
I have a question about finishing the skin surface before painting. The flat rivet heads on the skin surface will show after paining unless the defect between the head and the dimple are filled with something.
Is it recomended to fill this area with some sort of filler? If so, what? Auto body bondo??

Thanks,
Duane Wilson
RV9 empenage
Don't fill flush rivets with anything, not if you want to have it judged at an airshow. To me, every time I see that I wonder what #%&-up the builder was hiding. It adds weight, makes painting more complex and timeconsuming, and it doesn't usually look that good.

Steve, You are confusing filing with filling. If is acceptable to "shave" rivet heads somewhat to make them flush, however what we are talking about is filling around the rivet head with a filler to make the rivet "disappear." A well driven rivet line usually looks better than a rivet line that has been filled. Judges do NOT count off for visible rivets. As a matter of fact, if they cannot see the rivets, they question what you may be trying to hide. I have been involved in EAA judging for several years. If you don't want rivets, build a plastic airplane. (But don't come crying to me about sanding.)
Mel...DAR

Thanks

You gave me the information I was looking for. I come from a body and fender background and wondered if it had to be perfectly smooth like a body pannel.

Duane Wilson
RV9

Back