What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt flanges and Cowl Stiffening

Good explanation. I wasn’t exactly clear when I said sides. I wasn’t referring to area C but to the side as in the lateral joint between cowl halves.

My RV-7 experienced hinge failure in area B like you described.

No pucker or chainsaws allowed.

Did I mention I do not like fiberglass work. I promise I will never build a glass airplane. And I still have some sanding left to do on the glass layer on top of the carbon fiber.

Attachments

• IMG_1623.jpeg
    IMG_1623.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1622.jpeg
    IMG_1622.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
No pucker or chainsaws allowed.

Did I mention I do not like fiberglass work. I promise I will never build a glass airplane. And I still have some sanding left to do on the glass layer on top of the carbon fiber.
Did you first file out material before you added the carbon fiber so it was the same original thickness when it was all said and done?

No. I added a 0.32” spacer between the flange and firewall. 3 layers of carbon fiber tape and 1 of glass. Came out a good match.

No. I added a 0.32” spacer between the flange and firewall. 3 layers of carbon fiber tape and 1 of glass. Came out a good match.
Did you do the carbon addition before or after you drilled the individual pilot holes? Curious how well the magnet method used to align the pilot hole jig works with that carbon layer in the way.

Here is how I found the grommet hole centers. I made a small adapter that provides a center for the compass. Then drew several arcs to find the grommet hole center.
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg

Back