What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sika windshield faring question

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey guys- Amazingly, I think I'm almost done with this, but I have a quick question for those who have gone before.

Did you/would you sika the area I've indicated in red? I can leave it completely open, or continue my lower edge bead back to the corner just sealing the bottom, or I can pretty much fill it up.

What say you?

Attachments

• IMG_9009.jpg
    IMG_9009.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 158
Sika

I think I would seal it. Mainly so something can't catch and snap a chuck off. Just a thought.

Seems reasonable, but it leads me to my next question; how to I make sure that sika squeeze out doesn't encroach into the pocket thats right above there for the fwd corners of the canopy fairing to nest in?

Is there anything that sika UV295 won't stick to? like could you can use packing tape on a popsicle stick to make a dam to keep it out of there? I know it doesn't stick well without primer, but it does stick..

Seems reasonable, but it leads me to my next question; how to I make sure that sika squeeze out doesn't encroach into the pocket thats right above there for the fwd corners of the canopy fairing to nest in?

Is there anything that sika UV295 won't stick to? like could you can use packing tape on a popsicle stick to make a dam to keep it out of there? I know it doesn't stick well without primer, but it does stick..

While it does "stick" to whatever you put it on, it won't permanently adhere to it. Anything you didn't prime with Sika primer, 295 can easily be rolled or peeled off after it dries. It reminds me of a thicker version of Crazy String...

Technically, 295UV only adheres to what has been primed with Sika primer. So if you can use a primer correct for the material, it will stick quite well - permanently. For fiberglass, 206, for acrylic and other plastics, use 209.

Other than that, I would not do anything special to place a temporary barrier; you will be able to remove it.

Sika

Maybe that's why I had so much trouble opening the canopy after the windshield trim was done. I almost didn't get it open.
I would "fay seal". Don't put a bead there. Just apply exactly where you want it on both parts. Some may flow but at least you control where the Sika starts.

Back