What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplaces Oil Cooler Mount and Cooler Choice

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
IO390 on an RV8. Was planning to get the 2006x oil cooler for 13 rows to do what is on my -14A that works well. I like the oil cooler mount that Showplaces has but I wonder: does it make servicing the PMAG difficult? Do you have to drop the oil cooler down to get to the PMAG? Does it work with the 390 baffle kit from Vans?

Secondly, which oil cooler brand is the least hassle of the three available at ACS: aero-classic, airflow performance, or NDM? I don't want to pay the meggit-troy price for sure. I had to replace an airflow performance at about 200 hours for a leak on the first plane but I don't know if it was a one-off problem.

Pick up a genuine used SW/Meggit/Troy from an aircraft salvage yard. I picked up a 10610R for $150.

Call Bryan at Showplanes and ask. I’m using a Aero Classic 8001599 (IO-360-M1B). After talking to Bryan he asked me to send the dimensional drawing of it. He looked it over and said the 10 row would fit. I’d suggest finding the drawings for the coolers you want and send it to Bryan to review fitment with the 10 or 13 row. The attach point dimensions are critical to fitment.

I’ve looked at the drawings and all of the readily available 13 row coolers have the same mounting dimensions.

Is any of the brands 1) airflow systems 2) ndm 3) aero-classics more failure prone than another? Pricing sure is different.

And I’m very curious if the showplanes cooler Mount has to be moved to work on the right pmag.

I upgraded from an aero-classics 8 row mounted to the baffle to an 11 row mounted with the showplanes mount. It fit great with minimal cutting.

I was going to go with the recommended 13 row but in researching it here, looks like a ton of guys had leaks. Do the research on bar welded vs cup dipped.

The Aero Classiscs are more money but they are built like tanks.

On my IO-360 I only need the flapper open about 1/2" to maintain a 180* oil temp. Definitely spring for the flapper valve, the thing flows a ton of air and you'll want to control that.

We made a video of the engine running with the seal up against the baffle, we were afraid it wouldn't stay tightly against the baffle. https://youtu.be/RR2Uz5GRlXQ

Back