What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 7/7A project!

Emp almost done

Here is a shot of my newly finished HS/VS. Working on the rudder now...

vsDSC03529.jpg

Love that tailwheel!

nippaero said:
Here is a shot of my newly finished HS/VS. Working on the rudder now...

[

Is this the end of the tailwheel/nosewheel debate? Put a little kiddie cart under the tail and call it a day?

10 point landings

mgomez said:
Is this the end of the tailwheel/nosewheel debate? Put a little kiddie cart under the tail and call it a day?

I'm planning on building my -7 with 10 wheels like a B52 :rolleyes: As a side business, maybe I'll manufacture supplemental landing gear that threads into the bottom of RV wings where the tie down rings would normally go.

N622JP First Flight

On Friday, July 27th, 2007 N622JP took to the air for the first time. Mike Stewart was at the controls. The flight was eventful, but Mike handled it as I knew he would, which is precisely why I asked him to perform the first flight. I would encourage others to do the same if you do not have a lot of RV time. I may elaborate later but for now it's time to celebrate!

This morning Mike came out and we solved the squawks and Mike jumped back in and went again. This time the airplane performed flawlessly. He landed, we went over everything again and I took off. I got in three flights today! The airplane flies beautifully -- no heavy wing, no rudder trim required, etc.

Here I am descending for landing. Picture taken from the rear seat of Mike's -8 by my wife.
2007-07-28.2134.jpeg

And here's my version of the RV grin.
2007-07-28.2136.jpeg

A video of Mike's flight this morning is here. I guess I should have stood at the approach end of the runway. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations Jamie!

It must feel great.

I'm looking forward to that big day. Now back to the garage I go!

Mark

Congratulations. I am about 6 months behind you so I religiously check your site daily for updates. Your site is the Checkoway standard for us nose wheel builders.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, O-360-A1A, working on engine systems, GRT EIS shipping next week.

Hi Guys,

It took a while to finish this installment 1500-1750 hours, I was busy building a hangar home for the RV that distracted from the RV building. :D I took the tail feathers off during this section and stored them away. Pitty, with it on it would have almost looked ready to fly...

My Baby is becoming a real Lady, and I am not only referring to the plane. :p

Movie over here...http://www.rudigreyling.com/rudi_movies.html
rv_at_1750_800.jpg

Kind Regards
Rudi

Milestone weekend....

Was happy to get the thing up on gear legs on Saturday---

1251.jpg

But, then on Sunday, some buddies came over and we hung the engine!

1275.jpg

1273.jpg

Talk about a great weekend!!!

nippaero said:
Jeff,
Where's the plane? All I saw was that picture on the wall... :D

Ya kind of funny there are better Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, and Porsche's now. Even Pamela isn't what she used to be. I'm glad airplanes seem to age a little slower. I'm pretty sure RV's will be just as cool in 20 years as they are today.

Best thing I see in Chad's pictures . . .

Is the Culver Cadet on the wall . . . if I could only justfiy two projects with wings . . . Rick 90432 wings(garage for wings, really, QB fuse on order!)

I am more or less done with the rudder. It seemed to drag out longer than I though it would. But I took my time and ended up with a nice straight trailing edge. Not a great picture but never the less... On to the elevators!

rDSC03786.jpg

nippaero said:
I am more or less done with the rudder. It seemed to drag out longer than I though it would. But I took my time and ended up with a nice straight trailing edge. Not a great picture but never the less... On to the elevators!

Congrats Mike! You pull ahead of me yet again...

Mike

Great pix and great work.....don't worry about the time. It will get done when it gets done. I started Sept. 4, 2004 and I am now just wiring. Panel is complete except for the Dynon HS34. With your young age the time you spend, no matter how long, will be but a moment to the time you will enjoy building and finally flying your creation.

Frank @ sgu RV7A wiring about done...engine is in the mail....YES

Astromech Droid in place

Provided for your daily smile, groan, or whatever:

Well, we reached a big milestone on the project tonight - we finally got the Artoo unit in the baggage compartment of the plane. Here he is, apparently happy to be there:

artoo_small.jpg

He reports that he's happier here than he was in an X-Wing. He likes being inside instead of having his head stick out the top of the fuselage. In addition, in his new home, no TIE fighters have tried to shoot him yet.

X-wing schmex wing - Obi Wans ring shaped fighter rather.

garrett said:
He reports that he's happier here than he was in an X-Wing.

ROTFLMAO! That is an outstandingly hilarious pic! Nice set up.
Please don't mind if I use that at the right occasion in the future. With credit, of course.

Last edited:
Red 5, standing by . . .

Bill -

Of course you're welcome to use the picture if you'd like. I'm glad someone else thought it was funny . . . we were having a lot of fun putting him back there. It's actually a voice activated R2-D2 and so he was honking and whistling at us while he was in the airplane.

I'm thinking something like this would be a big hit on Young Eagle flights, actually . . .

The only downside to having him back there is it will probably result in a nickname of "Red Five" or something. Not all that bad, really, I've been called worse.

Drilled Hand (Not Finger)

That is definitely not a drilled finger, just a slightly damaged couple of skin layers! :p
I used to work at Boeing and had a #10 drill bit go into the palm of my left hand and into the bone. Blood everywhere! If it bleeds, it hurts. That is my buddies saying.

No blood, no hurt

I am the buddy that uses the phrase, "If there is no blood, there cannot be any pain". Now we all know better right? So when one of us smashes, cuts or driils a body part, we push or pinch the area in an attempt to get the area to bleed so we can complain in a manly fashion. :D
Sometimes the humor of the issue eases the pain.

Pat Garboden (Making fun of building partner, Todd Wiechman)
Ozark, MO

Building in Wichita, KS

RV-9A 942WG at the hanger awaiting FAA inspection
RV-9A 942PT (reserved) wiring stage

Interior Arrives

I ordered my interior through CAD and they delivered a couple days ahead of schedule, exceeding the quality expectations. I ordered most of the Aviator interior, swapping the side panels for the simple arm rests. Fortunately, no body parts were injured during this test fitting....

Now if I can finish the cowl, baffles, engine wiring...blah, blah, blah....

IMG_0231.jpg

Next time you drill your finger, use a plexiglass bit. I hear they don't tear or crack as much :D

Jekyll

Wings are off the jigs.

I finished my ailerons last week and riveted the top skins this weekend. :D

Your interior looks awesome Jim!

wings2.jpg

Horizontal Stabilizer - Done!

I hit the first milestone yesterday, according to Van's manual anyway. The horizontal stabilizer is done and now on to the vertical stab. It feels good to have completed this first of many components. Thanks to Colten and Tanner - my "Buckaroos" for their help. The many posts from good people at all stages of construction on this site keep me motivated and get me through my lunch hour!

hsdone9307xy9.jpg

finally moving on

After taking the summer off, I've finally got back into it and started on the QB wings. Had a friend stop by and we moved right wing to the work table, hope to get wings complete by end of Sept....this year.

RV7140.jpg

9-11-07

almost finished with the baffles. and i must say this was the most aggravating part of the kit... i had camlocks for the whole cowl but opted for just the firewall installation...maybe later i change my mind if eyelets break or something.

Last edited:
I found getting to this point in the sliding canopy saga to be straight forward. This is about ten days of work, maybe 25 hours. Next comes the side and rear skirts. Fitting these will be much harder. I am beginning to see why some opt for fiberglass, but I haven't given up yet.
url]
img1840yy9.jpg

Last edited:
My hangar mate and I hosted the EAA Chapter 21 meeting at our hangar last night. My RV-7A, under construction in the foreground and my hangar mate, Larry Helming's flying RV-7 were the main focus of the meeting. I can't begin to describe how much of a motivational boost it is having a flying example of what you are building sitting just a few feet from your project. And to have its builder helping you on your project. I will be forever indebted to Larry for all of his help and counsel.

Working on firewall forward and the panel. Goal is to be spraying paint in three weeks with the hope of getting all of the House of Kolor Kandy Apple Red on before cold weather. It will be close but I think we can make it.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, O-360-A1A, GRT Sport HS EFIS, Icom A-210

P1010294.JPG

P1010292.JPG

Last edited:
Working on the panel

This is a work in progress. The two empty 2 1/4 holes on the left will be filled by an ADI and a Trutrak AP. I am still deciding on a flatpack AP or a round one. In that case, the far left hole will be filled by a clock. Yeah, I know, the AFS-3500 has a timer, but. . .I like a seperate timer.

RV7A_133.JPG

Probably the coolest day of building so far...

070921_001.jpg

I have those sawhorses. I welded steel braces across the legs because was worried that they would collapse. The legs just don't spread far enough to be steady and there's no sort of lock on them. I cut-up and used the leg extensions for braces.

Hey Ron, great idea. I may have to rig something up. The sawhorses are slightly different -- take a look at the ends -- you have one bolt, I have four. I don't know if it is where you welded them, but the legs on mine seem to be spread out more, and they have a little piece of rubber that serves as a friction lock of sorts. Anyway, I am going to fashion some kind of locking mechanism.

BTW... I don't know where you are based, but when I was 15, my summer job was working at the Lantana Airport scrubbing the corrosion off of a DC-3.

Last edited:
Yeah, Brad, I see yours are different and probably better. I just couldn't bear the thought of my fuselage collapsing on these sawhorses. With my luck, that could easily happen. I'm about four or five miles from Lantana airport.
Ron

Deja vu....

LOL, if it weren't so clean, that coulda been my basement shop! That's what I had in my shop this weekend. I just finished all the drilling, and now it's all broken down again for the deburr & dimple deal.

It is sweet isn't it :)

move'n on

Wings substantially complete, while I wait for some wiring materials. So had a friend stop by and we rearranged the shop. Fuselage is next.

RV7171.jpg

Last edited:
Putting on the Numbers

I spent the last weekend putting on 12 in vinyl numbers from Aircraft Spruce. Mike Seager has these numbers on the RV 7 he uses for transistional training. YOu need 12 inch numbers if you are going to Mexico or Canada. Or if you want to do illegal things and make it easy for the FAA to pull your ticket.

It was interesting process because Aircraft Spruce requires you to sign a paper acknowledging that you can't return the numbers. I ran into trouble as you have to order two sets, the black numbers and the slightly larger white numbers used as an outline so the black numbers can be seen on the red. Aircraft Spruce worked hard to resolve the problem, great company.

My benevolent helper Bob Beach came up with a brilliant solution to get them perfectly aligned. We overlayed them vertically on a glass door and taped them together but left one side open so we could tape them to the plane individually. YOu fold the first (black numbers) out of the way and adhere the white one's and then drop the black one's down and if the tape stays put, they are perfectly aligned.

Steve Anderson
Lafayette La.
Finishing

Back