What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shielded wire connections

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a length of shielded wire for my tail light. I needed a connector so I chose molex (don’t love it but it’s just a two pin). In order to make the connection I needed to remove a portion of the shielding and pull it back to expose the wire. Do I need to worry about at 1/4 inch length that is no longer shielded?

I have a length of shielded wire for my tail light. I needed a connector so I chose molex (don’t love it but it’s just a two pin). In order to make the connection I needed to remove a portion of the shielding and pull it back to expose the wire. Do I need to worry about at 1/4 inch length that is no longer shielded?
Assuming you are not using the shield for a ground (as in a power ground), then no.

For the tail light one option is to just have a service loop in the rudder fiberglass bottom. Make it a foot or two long so if you ever had to remove the rudder just pull the light out and cut the wires - perhaps 6” from the light. Splice on reinstall. To have a hole in the rudder big enough for a connector to be pulled through is, in my opinion, too big

Carl

Assuming you are not using the shield for a ground (as in a power ground), then no.

For the tail light one option is to just have a service loop in the rudder fiberglass bottom. Make it a foot or two long so if you ever had to remove the rudder just pull the light out and cut the wires - perhaps 6” from the light. Splice on reinstall. To have a hole in the rudder big enough for a connector to be pulled through is, in my opinion, too big

Carl
I have a service loop and a connector in the bottom rudder fairing.

Not sure why you are using shielded wire for the tail light.
But in any case, leaving a short amount of cable unshielded in order to make a connection is a common thing.
Microphone (and other audio) wires are sensitive to noise. I'd be more concerned about noise pickup on those than noise radiating from the tail light.
And back there... if you radiate some noise, what's nearby to pickup the noise? Probably nothing.

.....For the tail light one option is to just have a service loop in the rudder fiberglass bottom. Make it a foot or two long so if you ever had to remove the rudder just pull the light out and cut the wires - perhaps 6” from the light. Splice on reinstall. To have a hole in the rudder big enough for a connector to be pulled through is, in my opinion, too big

Carl
Why wouldn't old school knife splices or paired male/female fast-ons be a better choice here?

Back