What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB-00036 & RV3

HFS

Well Known Member
How did you gain access to the forward face of the aft spar for this "inspection"?

Drill through fiberglass tip & end rib - then use small borescope? Or?

Thanks in advance for this info.

YMMV - but only if you have a -3.

HFS

I spoke to Rian at Van's about this and he was happy for RV-3 owners to inspect via the inboard rib.

"It is permissible to enlarge the aft tooling hole in the HS-305 up to .625 inches (16 mm) to allow access for inspection cameras."

Search RV3

If you go to search and key in RV3, about halfway down the list of previous threads, the thread titled 'Inspection plan for SB-00036' has several posts how to inspect the RV3 for SB-00036. Hope you have better luck than I did and find no cracks!

Last edited:
Yup - inboard rib works great - took me longer to get the fairing off and on than to do the inspection.

Thank you all - wasn't looking forward to drilling a hole in the fiberglass tip/end rib.

HFS

Placing forward doubler

If you do have to do the repair, one of the best tips I can give since you have the fiberglassed tips like my wife’s, is to make a tool to slide it into place from the root side. We drilled the rivits from the root toward the tip leaving the fiberglass in place. You can’t peel the skin up enough to get your hands in there but you can take a scrap piece of aluminum and bend it 90* then duct tape the doubler on it and slide it right into place. Drill one hole, cleco, then drill the rest.

Super simple

Just drill a 3/8” hole in the underside of the stabilizer a few inches forward of the hinge bracket. Use a boroscope to look directly at it….plug the hole with a hole plug from the hardware store…Done!

Back