What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 build in Edmonton

Hello everyone,

Well I think I'm going to take the plunge and start an RV8 up her in sunny (cold) Edmonton. I guess my first question is "am I mad to be starting this before we know exactly what is going to happen with Vans?"

Personally I think they will be okay but before I start I would really like to meet anyone with RV build experience close by for a coffee and/or chat about the whole process. I feel like I come up with a course of action, then decide on something else having read yet another article. My question list keeps getting longer and longer

While its an exciting proposition, I'm also scared S+@#less by the whole idea!!! Really looking forward to getting to know this community and hope one day to have something I can be proud of!

Thank you for taking the time to read yet another newbie post!

Dave

Hello everyone,

Well I think I'm going to take the plunge and start an RV8 up her in sunny (cold) Edmonton. I guess my first question is "am I mad to be starting this before we know exactly what is going to happen with Vans?"

Personally I think they will be okay but before I start I would really like to meet anyone with RV build experience close by for a coffee and/or chat about the whole process. I feel like I come up with a course of action, then decide on something else having read yet another article. My question list keeps getting longer and longer

While its an exciting proposition, I'm also scared S+@#less by the whole idea!!! Really looking forward to getting to know this community and hope one day to have something I can be proud of!

Dave
Call me to discuss. 610-944-1969

Call me to discuss. 610-944-1969
I’m in Melfort, Saskatchewan and also building an RV8. Empennage is done (luckily before laser cut parts). Now about half done wings. Moving slowly because I’m just about caught up to the point where I need replacement parts. Text me if you have any questions or advice. 306-921-5350. Kelly

Hello everyone,

Dave
You will never regret building an RV-8 they are wonderful airplanes. I finished in 2014 after 9 years. They are so much more than C-172 and compared to Harvard they are faster by 40 kts climb better burn 10 us gal an hour. They lose a bit in cool factor but that goes away quick when you pay the bills. The blue one is mine. Built in Winnipeg. Good Luck Harvey

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Im in Red Deer. Not a builder but have owned and maintained a couple over the last 14 yes.
Feel free to call

Tim
780 913 1869

You will never regret building an RV-8 they are wonderful airplanes. I finished in 2014 after 9 years. They are so much more than C-172 and compared to Harvard they are faster by 40 kts climb better burn 10 us gal an hour. They lose a bit in cool factor but that goes away quick when you pay the bills. The blue one is mine. Built in Winnipeg. Good Luck Harvey
Thanks for the encouragement Harvey, I did think about selling my 172 to finance the build, but need to keep flying while I do it! Great pic too, looking forward to getting back into formation flying as well!

Building on from my original question, does anyone know of any transition training local to Edmonton, or for that matter, anywhere in AB BC or SASK?

Ted Sorensen is is quite tall, would be comical to see him fold himself up in the back of an 8!
Good catch Ralph, never even thought.

But I do have a visual of doing my Xcountry night endorsement with Ted in 1981 in a C152. Heading north on hwy 56 and cars were passing us on the highway. I looked over at Ted and he looked like a pretzel curled up on the right. I was a few inches shorter at 6'1 and almost pretzeled up as much in the left seat. Certainly comical at the time. Good thing we were skinny in them days. :)

You will need full dual controls as a minimum. I think what Mike with Vans does is check you out in a RV7. At least that what they did for me in my RV4.

I believe that south of the 49th parallel there are 1 to 2 guys that do check outs in an 8.

Tim

Building on from my original question, does anyone know of any transition training local to Edmonton, or for that matter, anywhere in AB BC or SASK?
I'm also in Red Deer, I built a 9A, finished it 5-1/2 years ago. Plane is based in Lacombe now. PM me if you want to talk.

On the transition training, don't even think about it until you are on the very last part of the build. It's extremely perishable learning and while you are in builder mode it will be lost on you. I did mine 4 months before first flight and that was still too early. While you build, try to keep flying when you can, but many can't. Many also find it difficult to wear both the builder and flyer hat at the same time.

Back