What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A: Installing the legs without the wings

0302lj

Instructions call for installing the wings before the gear mount.

My space is currently limited..so would like to consider building a jig/spacer assembly to install the gear mount (temporarily) with the wings off….will. Would help for wiring around the plane for a bit

Any experience/Advise (besides get a hanger:))?

Yes, you just build some spar “stubs” to fill the spar gap in the carry-through.
This allows the gear weldments to be bolted in and carry the gear loads.
In fact I have some spacers if you want them.

It depends on what stage of fitting for the gear leg weldments. Have they already been drilled to match the wing spar bolts and for the correct toe in/out alignment? If not, then stub spars may not be a solution for mounting the gear legs. Instead, consider making a timber spar that goes all the way through and attach temporary timber posts on each side to support the fuselage until you are ready to fit the wings.
In my case, I fitted the wings and the gear legs temporarily for drilling while the fuselage was still inverted in the jig. The gear leg mounts and the gear legs came undrilled in my kit.

NB be sure to use a drill guide if match drilling the timber spar through F604 or through the actual wing spars, otherwise there is a high risk of wallowing out and ruining the aluminium parts.

Attachments

• 20220328_131213.jpg
    20220328_131213.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210729_163622.jpg
    20210729_163622.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Yes, you just build some spar “stubs” to fill the spar gap in the carry-through.
This allows the gear weldments to be bolted in and carry the gear loads.
In fact I have some spacers if you want them.

Sent private message. Much thanks

It depends on what stage of fitting for the gear leg weldments. Have they already been drilled to match the wing spar bolts and for the correct toe in/out alignment? If not, then stub spars may not be a solution for mounting the gear legs. Instead, consider making a timber spar that goes all the way through and attach temporary timber posts on each side to support the fuselage until you are ready to fit the wings.
In my case, I fitted the wings and the gear legs temporarily for drilling while the fuselage was still inverted in the jig. The gear leg mounts and the gear legs came undrilled in my kit.

NB be sure to use a drill guide if match drilling the timber spar through F604 or through the actual wing spars, otherwise there is a high risk of wallowing out and ruining the aluminium parts.

Thanks Paul

If you use timber, as most people do, please consider placing something thin between the timber and the aircraft structure. This might be a piece of 0.016 inch aluminium or even a simple layer of aluminium tape.

If there is any moisture in the wood it can cause corrosion in critical areas of the airframe, especially if you live in a warm climate or if the period of time between fitting the undercarraige and fitting the wings is extened.

If you use timber, as most people do, please consider placing something thin between the timber and the aircraft structure. This might be a piece of 0.016 inch aluminium or even a simple layer of aluminium tape.

If there is any moisture in the wood it can cause corrosion in critical areas of the airframe, especially if you live in a warm climate or if the period of time between fitting the undercarraige and fitting the wings is extened.

Thanks for the advice

Back