What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 with TruTrak - Pitch servo question

vinzer

Well Known Member
Hello everyone!

I would like to ask these who fly with TruTrak autopilots in their RV10. Does your pitch servo slips at all ? What about pitch control - is it all good ?

The reason for this question is: I do have TT servos installed in my 10. My torque settings are at max for both pitch and roll. The roll servo in right wing and the pitch servo in tail are both installed using standard mounting kits (I think by Dynon).

In my wing for roll servo I use second hole on servo arm (middle range torque) and it holds well. There is a play in aileron when servo is engaged but it is not significant and roll controls by autopilot are good.

For the pitch servo my only option was to use the last hole on servo arm (furthest from the center, with least torque). When autopilot is engaged there is a bigger play in elevator comparing to ailerons. This is because of the arms/links so the little play in servo arm (normal servo play in gear) makes it large at the elevator.

The biggest concern is the fact that it is easy to "break" the servo torque by pushing on to elevator with relatively light force. So if I engage the AP and push on elevator with relatively light force servo slips. I tried two different servos, both are pitch and both are high torque from TT company so this is not the servo issue. My AP is set to max torque and specifically the line which controls the torque in servo (pin 6 on servo conn) has 4.918V level which is maximum torque setting. In flight servo also slips with relatively light force (climb rate 500ft/min).
Are there any special considerations for RV10 and pitch servo which I maybe not aware of ? :rolleyes:

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask these who fly with TruTrak autopilots in their RV10. Does your pitch servo slips at all ? What about pitch control - is it all good ?
Are there any special considerations for RV10 and pitch servo which I maybe not aware of ? :rolleyes:

I sure don't know of anything Vlad. My system uses the TT Sorcerer driven by the G-900X panel and I don't feel any slippage at all. I use the basic settings on the AP and other than a little over steer when following a course with a turn, everything works pretty well.

-Marc

I sure don't know of anything Vlad. My system uses the TT Sorcerer driven by the G-900X panel and I don't feel any slippage at all. I use the basic settings on the AP and other than a little over steer when following a course with a turn, everything works pretty well.

-Marc

Hey Marc!
Hope all is well at your end. You have amazing RV10 and I remember when we were flying it your pitch/roll AP was working just fine. Thank you for your feedback, I think I might found my issue and now trying to rectify it correctly.
In my case if autopilot attempts to climb at a high rate servo slips but most likely the problem comes from the trim and non-trimmed condition for servo (over torqued) so I am now debugging that part.
;)

Check to see that the shear screw in the servo has not sheared. Often there is enough residual friction that the servo "sort of" works.

Last edited:
Bob, Thank you, that was checked and my safety shear screw is intact.

Mike, thank you for this information. This makes sense and now I think my puzzle is solved. Torque enhancer - this is what I should have ;)

Picture shows what I currently have.

Attachments

• CB895700-F30C-4813-BEB9-0AE6A04DD678.jpg
    CB895700-F30C-4813-BEB9-0AE6A04DD678.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 24
Back