What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A 13B Progress

dlomheim

Well Known Member
I installed "Drop Box" on my computer so am curious to see if will allow me to post pictures here so here goes the test...

I bought an operational intake manifold from another rotary buddy when he decided to install a Lycoming in his RV-6 after some 600+ hrs. of flying behind a 13B. This manifold (I believe) was his 3rd iteration and he put over 150 hrs on it, so I'm looking forward to many hours of use once mine is finally flying!

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A / 13B

Hot%20Side%20of%2013B.jpg

IMG_2590%20%28Medium%29.JPG

New%20Manifold.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
. . so I'm looking forward to many hours of use once mine is finally flying!
Ok, Doug, so when can we expect to see some air underneath those wings?

Haven't talked with you since the Christmas party. Have you been making progress? Call me some time. I would love to hear an update.

Doug,
That's how I mounted my alternator!
Except I doubled the slide brackets, one in front and one behind the ear on the top of the alternator. I also used an attach point below the mag pickup to make it short and ridged (under the green throttle cable in your pic). The problem is the two ear alternator frame, which doesn't give very ridged mounting.
My lower alternator mount came from Pinapple Racing, and it needed some adjustment. ;) I bent it up to bring the alternator closer to the engine. Also something about the bolt diameter and the hole diameter being too loose.
Gotta love that Denso. I finally found one that has the power out stud straight off the back of the end bell.
I ended up with the oil cooler on the right side of the engine, and the air supply plenum had been rubbing on the alt output post.
For me it was neccesary to separate the air flow paths for radiator and oil cooler to get them to maintain temps in ground running.
I have a few pics on my chapter page, if you check out my link.
I have a Fred Breese mount too. A little tricky to mount my turbo, but I think it's a very good mount.

Last edited:
It's great to see the progress Doug - really looking closer to being a flying airplane!

Back