What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 CFI to fly from Texas to Florida

Ferreip

Hello,

I recently purchased an RV-9 in Texas, and I would like to bring it to Florida as soon as possible. According to my insurance open clause, I'll need to hire a CFI with the following requirements:
  1. Private or more advanced pilot certificate
  2. Logged a minimum total time of 500 hrs
  3. Minimum of 100 hours in tail-wheel gear aircraft and a minimum of 25 hours in the same make and model of the aircraft being flown
  4. Be a FAA Certificated Flight Instructor
Let me know who can help me ferry my new-to-me RV-9. I've never flown an RV, so very excited to fly one. My experience is flying Citabrias, both flapped and non-flapped.

Regards,
Paul

Hello,

I recently purchased an RV-9 in Texas, and I would like to bring it to Florida as soon as possible. According to my insurance open clause, I'll need to hire a CFI with the following requirements:
  3. Minimum of 100 hours in tail-wheel gear aircraft and a minimum of 25 hours in the same make and model of the aircraft being flown
Let me know who can help me ferry my new-to-me RV-9. I've never flown an RV, so very excited to fly one. My experience is flying Citabrias, both flapped and non-flapped.

Regards,
Paul
See if they will accept 6/7 for the model; that will open up the CFI's you can use.

I have a RV9 and my son who lives in TX is a A&P and CFI , has more than sufficient RV9 time on my 9 and on the insurance . He works for contractor in TX and flys AT802 Fire Boss . Has more that 5000 hrs. Give me a PM and I will fwd to him for response.

I have a RV9 and my son who lives in TX is a A&P and CFI , has more than sufficient RV9 time on my 9 and on the insurance . He works for contractor in TX and flys AT802 Fire Boss . Has more that 5000 hrs. Give me a PM and I will fwd to him for response.
PM sent.

Thanks for the offer, but I would really like to fly with a CFI so I can meet the 4 hour requirement.

Paul
Please give some thought to this. Checking the insurance box by counting the ferry flight sounds great, but how much training/experience does it gain?

For me, I flew right seat from AZ to TX with a proper ferry pilot and then did transition training at home with a proper CFI.

Hello,

Regards,
Paul
I just went through this. Insurance insisted the CFI have RV9 time. They would not consider RV6, 7 or 8 time. PITA. I lucked out and found a local guy so it all worked out. The insurance companies rule the world. Good luck!

Please give some thought to this. Checking the insurance box by counting the ferry flight sounds great, but how much training/experience does it gain?

For me, I flew right seat from AZ to TX with a proper ferry pilot and then did transition training at home with a proper CFI.

Locally I have a couple of CFIs that are very experienced in tail-wheel, but none have RV-9 experience, so my insurance is a no go. My goal is to have a minimum of 8 hours transitional training (insurance requirement), so this is the reason I want to include the ferry flight back. If I just ferry it here, then I am stuck with a great airplane with no one to do my transitional training.

Locally I have a couple of CFIs that are very experienced in tail-wheel, but none have RV-9 experience, so my insurance is a no go. My goal is to have a minimum of 8 hours transitional training (insurance requirement), so this is the reason I want to include the ferry flight back. If I just ferry it here, then I am stuck with a great airplane with no one to do my transitional training.
you have a good plan there. I did the same thing with a mooney, carbon cub and super viking. The mooney and cub could have been done in less than the 10 or so hours required but the Super Viking‘s 15 hr. dual was well worth it, it was a handful until it wasn’t and once you learn it is a pussycat, lands just like a -9. 8 hours transition in the -9 should be adequate provided that half off that is working takeoffs and landings in the pattern. Good Luck

you have a good plan there. I did the same thing with a mooney, carbon cub and super viking. The mooney and cub could have been done in less than the 10 or so hours required but the Super Viking‘s 15 hr. dual was well worth it, it was a handful until it wasn’t and once you learn it is a pussycat, lands just like a -9. 8 hours transition in the -9 should be adequate provided that half off that is working takeoffs and landings in the pattern. Good Luck
Thanks, I think so too. I want to do some pattern work at the local airport where the airplane is, until I feel comfortable with landings, etc.

Why not land at 15-20 airports on the way? By the time you get to your destination you’ll have more transition hours and takeoff/landing training. Not to mention you could knock out a flight review.

Why not land at 15-20 airports on the way? By the time you get to your destination you’ll have more transition hours and takeoff/landing training. Not to mention you could knock out a flight review.
That's a great idea! I’ll discuss that with whoever I hire. Thanks

That's a great idea! I’ll discuss that with whoever I hire. Thanks
That’s a horrible idea.. lol when bringing a plane home from a recent purchase, you want to get it home SAFELY. You may not know the age and condition of the tires and tubes..or any real maintenance the plane has received ..the last thing that you want is to be training along the way and accidentally incur a flat or other maintenance problem hundreds of miles from home.. Get the plane home first, then you can train all you want. When ferrying an RV, I’ll even avoid using flaps if I can.. the last thing I want is to have 1000 miles to go and flaps stuck down! They land just fine without flaps. And I had one plane where I delivered it and the next day, the flap switch was stuck down.. thankfully it was home when that happened.

Last edited:
That’s a horrible idea.. lol when bringing a plane home from a recent purchase, you want to get it home SAFELY. You may not know the age and condition of the tires and tubes..or any real maintenance the plane has received ..the last thing that you want is to be trailing along the way and accidentally incur a flat or other maintenance problem hundreds of miles from home.. Get the plane home first, then you can train all you want. When ferrying an RV, I’ll even avoid using flaps if I can.. the last thing I want is to have 1000 miles to go and flaps stuck down! They land just fine without flaps. And I had one plane where I delivered it and the next day, the flap switch was stuck down.. thankfully it was home when that happened.

Good point too, but I didn’t purchase this 9 to do local flights, it had a great pre-buy, and it was owned by someone that took excellent care of it. A few stops here and there for gas, etc., is a great idea.

Good point too, but I didn’t purchase this 9 to do local flights, it had a great pre-buy, and it was owned by someone that took excellent care of it. A few stops here and there for gas, etc., is a great idea.
Unfortunately the tail wheel version of the RV-9 is very rare. I keep a list of known RV-9's and there are only about 50 world wide that I have been able to find. So finding a CFI with time in one that can ferry you and the plane from TX may be difficult.
If determined to take that route (I would), You might try negotiating with the insurance company. Because I will doubt you will be able to find anyone that will even be able to do transition in a RV-9. Most of us satisfied the insurance with transition in a RV-6 or RV-7. I know I did. Welcome to the RV-9 club. Perfect plane.

Unfortunately the tail wheel version of the RV-9 is very rare. I keep a list of known RV-9's and there are only about 50 world wide that I have been able to find. So finding a CFI with time in one that can ferry you and the plane from TX may be difficult.
If determined to take that route (I would), You might try negotiating with the insurance company. Because I will doubt you will be able to find anyone that will even be able to do transition in a RV-9. Most of us satisfied the insurance with transition in a RV-6 or RV-7. I know I did. Welcome to the RV-9 club. Perfect plane.
Thank you, I can’t wait to fly it, and pretty excited about it. I know many with RV9a, but none locally that fly the 9. I’m in touch with someone through this post, so hopefully they will be able to help me.

Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the welcome to this forum.

I'm at the 90% done/90% to go stage and looking forward to joining the tailwheel 9 club.

I hope to be fussing with the insurance question sometime soon.

Cheers, Ken

Paul, sounds like you've got some options in the works but happy to help if I can. CFII in Texas w/ 500+ in tailwheel RV's (none in a -9, though).

Good luck and have fun!

Darin

Reconfirm the insrance requirement with your broker/underwriter. My transition required the CFI experience to be in Nose Wheel /Side by side RV. So that would include 6/7/9 A models. If they "only" require Side by side Tailwheel you;ll have more options.

Well, I contacted my insurance company, and they now will approve anyone with RV-6 and -7 tailwheel. Below is their reply:

“Any pilot with your permission maintaining a Private or more advanced pilot certificate who has logged a minimum total time of 500 hours, including a minimum of 100 hours in conventional gear aircraft and a minimum of 25 hours in the same make and model aircraft being flown. RV-6 and 7 time could be used towards the 25 hour requirement provided that it is tailwheel time and not -A / tricycle aircraft experience."

Still in contact with a pilot (CFI) that has experience with RV-9, but waiting for confirmation from him.

Paul, sounds like you've got some options in the works but happy to help if I can. CFII in Texas w/ 500+ in tailwheel RV's (none in a -9, though).

Good luck and have fun!

Darin

Thanks Darin. I'm in touch with someone that has RV-9 experience, but haven't heard anything back as of today. If he cannot I'll let you know.

Appreciate it.

KenB,
I have added you to to the list as building. Let me know when you get a home airport and tail number and I will update.

Ferreip,
Let me know when you want to share a tail #.

No such luck yet in getting my "new to me" RV home to Florida... Almost a month has gone by since I purchased it. I didn't know this was going to be such a challenge.

Any suggestions?

Have you thought about changing insurance companies to one that would consider RV6/7 training?

I spoke to my insurance and they agreed to accept anyone with either RV-6 or -7, so all good. I’m already in touch with a some guys that can help me. Thanks for everyone’s tips.

Final update. I got the RV-9 inside my hangar, and am so grateful to Darin for providing me with great tips, and for his wealth of knowledge. We got it to Florida pretty fast, with two landings for fuel and food, on a very windy and gusty day. Sunday spent flying and practicing landings, etc.. Will post more as I increase my confidence by flying the -9.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

KenB,
I have added you to to the list as building. Let me know when you get a home airport and tail number and I will update.

Ferreip,
Let me know when you want to share a tail #.
Thanks, MarkW. My RV-9 will be based at my hangar at Longmont, CO, Vance Brand Airport, KLMO. It will be N78KB. Cheers, Ken

Final update. I got the RV-9 inside my hangar, and am so grateful to Darin for providing me with great tips, and for his wealth of knowledge. We got it to Florida pretty fast, with two landings for fuel and food, on a very windy and gusty day. Sunday spent flying and practicing landings, etc.. Will post more as I increase my confidence by flying the -9.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Congratulations.

KenB, Got you on the list. Good luck with the finish. Finishing a aircraft I built at home is on my top ten list for sure.

Back