What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 QB gear installation

jbDC9

Well Known Member
I think I've run into a snag while starting on the gear alignment; initially I used Vans method using 4 plumb bobs along the gear legs and measuring back to the tail... all 4 weights lined up perfectly and the distance from the outer weights to the tail was almost a perfect match; off by maybe 1/16", the manual allows 1/4." Problem is, the gear legs and U-803 attach brackets seem to be pretty far aft. I've attached a few pics, the first 3 show the left side; I have the 3/16" line marked and the U-805 wear plate is sitting on it, but the 803 bracket is a bit crooked as it straddles the gear leg. I don't wanna drill it like that since that'll mess up the bolt holes as the go into the WD-822 weldment inside the gear tower. Should I file/polish the gear leg or 803 bracket to make it line up with the 805 wear plate? The right side (last pic) lines up the 803/805s with the 3/16" line pretty well, but the whole assembly still seems to be a bit too far aft.

To double check the alignment measurements, I used an alternate method using 2 plumb bobs dropped from an alum. angle attached to each gear leg, then measured from each weight in to the fuse. centerline (as described by Steve Raddatz on Yahoo!Groups). The legs appear to be perfectly square from the measurements, but the leg and 803/805 still seem to be a bit far aft. Any ideas on where I might be screwed up?

Thanks!
John -8QB
Houston
rv82466cj.jpg
rv82480sv.jpg
rv82494ev.jpg
rv82478oh.jpg

Looks like mine...

John,

Your pictures look very similar to mine (the slight offset on the left side in particular). I agonized over it for a couple of days, and finally convinced myself I'd done everything right. I called Van's, and they particularly said not to mess with the clearance bewteeen the gear leg and the U-bracket - or you'd get fore and aft motion of the gear leg, and that would be really bad!

I did some trimming of the skin to allow clearance for the bolt holes, and went ahead and drilled - I met all the edge distance criteria, and my gear is parallel and straight to as close as I can measure.

You're welcome to come check mine out, since we're both in Houston....

Paul Dye
Nassau Bay

Back