What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 N227KV Marc Ausman

MCA

Well Known Member
Advertiser
This is the first plane that I built, and its first flight was in April 2006. After about 70 hours, it was painted by Dwight Tulver at Animas Aero Designs in Animas, CO. It currently has about 135 hours on it. The engine is an Aerosport Power IO-390 driving a Hartzel -7497 BA propeller. In cruise at >10k ft it burns about 7.3 gph at LOP at 160ktas.

vh1.JPG

vh2.JPG

Thanks to Steve Z. in TX for the inspiration on the paint!

Here's the panel for 227KV with dual GRT screens, Garmin stack (audio panel, 430, SL-30, and 330 transponder). Digiflight IIVSGV autopilot which is connected to the EFIS. A Vertical Power VP-200 Duo system installed to provide engine monitoring, switching, circuit protection, and overall electrical control. EIS is installed on a drop down panel on the passenger side. The Dynon is used as a backup attitude source. Also installed is XM weather receiver (in the back) and an XM audio receiver (down on the center panel). I mounted the ELT indicator and the CO detector from the back using clickbond posts and some home-made clips.

Cockpit.JPG

Last edited:
More...

Here are some various details around the plane. The nav and landing lights are from CreativeAir. I don’t know how well they work at night, as I don’t fly single engine night flights any more. The area around the strobes was painted silver for better reflectivity.

vh3.JPG

vh4.JPG

vh5.JPG

The plane runs a dual electrical bus dual battery setup, with a 40A B&C alternator for Bus A and a 20A B&C alternator for Bus B. The cross-tie contactor provides power from both batteries during start, and is activated during an alternator failure to run all the equipment from the good bus.

Last edited:
comms...

Here’s a neat little thingy I saw at OSH a few years ago. In case of a radio or electrical failure, you can disconnect the coax going to the Garmin 430 and plug in a line from your handheld radio, allowing the handheld to use the big antenna on the bottom of the plane. The comm1 antenna runs up to a bulkhead connector on the panel.

vh7.jpg

VH6.jpg

Have about 135 hours on it now (Mar 07), and truly believe that Van's has built an amazing aircraft.

Last edited:
Familiar paint job

MCA said:
This is the first plane that I built, and its first flight was in April 2006. After about 70 hours, it was painted by Dwight Tulver at Animas Aero Designs in Animas, CO. It currently has about 135 hours on it. The engine is an Aerosport Power IO-390 driving a Hartzel -479 BA propeller. In cruise at >10k ft it burns about 7.3 gph at LOP at 160ktas.

Hello Marc

This is Steve Z. I thought that paint job looked similar to mine but didn't put it together that you were the guy that emailed me about mine.... a long time ago it seems. It really is pretty. Congratulations.

AOA

One of the things I've found to be useful is having the AOA display up on the glare shield where it can be easily seen during landings. I made a little housing for it out of fiberglass and mounted it with screws from below.

AOA1.jpg

AOA2.jpg

Nav antenna

The nav antenna is located at the top of the rudder, and the fiberglass cap piece is attached wtih screws. The antenna mount sits flush at the top of the vertical stab.

This setup is fine for a nose dragger, but if I had to do it over again I'd mount it under the fuselage in the rear by the tail wheel.

ant1.jpg

ant2.jpg

Wind reducers

I thought sealing off that huge gaping hole where the aileron pushrods come through the fuselage would be a good idea. They cut down on the air quite a bit, but air still blows up through the stick boots, and I have no friggin idea where it comes from. It's actually nice - keeps the hand cool during those stressful approaches.

The material is scrap vinyl/cloth stuff they use in auto upholstery shops. A ring secures it around the opening, and a tie wrap secures it around the push rod. Note - if you do this, make certain nothing binds through the full motion of the push rod.

jacket.jpg

jacket2.jpg

Vertical Power

Eric,

Well, as you might expect... I love it! :D

Seriously though, it works as advertised. We don't have all the features in yet, but the basic idea behind the Mode switching, checklists popping up when you want them to, and lots of other pilot workload-reduction features are working well. I flogged it pretty hard during a BFR the other day and had no issues.

Am working on a video so you can see it go through a typical flight.

Can't wait to see that.

MCA said:
Eric,

Well, as you might expect... I love it! :D

Seriously though, it works as advertised. We don't have all the features in yet, but the basic idea behind the Mode switching, checklists popping up when you want them to, and lots of other pilot workload-reduction features are working well. I flogged it pretty hard during a BFR the other day and had no issues.

Am working on a video so you can see it go through a typical flight.

Thanks Rick! You're too nice. When you get up close, you can see it's not a show plane, just a weekly flyer with plenty of blemishes. Would love to build another one, but it'll have to wait till the kids are older, maybe out of the house. :rolleyes:

Vertical Power videos are now up at http://www.verticalpower.com/gallery.html

If there's anything else you'd like to see on video (about our products of course), send an email and we'll see what we can do.

An amzaing product, great plane, and a nice guy

FWIW Marc was the guest speaker at our EAA chapter mtg this week. He had a demo unit with him and gave an excellent presentation about his product, answered all of our silly (?) questions. and then afterward we all walked out to the ramp to see his new plane with the product installed. He went through the demo again, only this time with the 'real thing' VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Good on you Marc!

and thanks for a great meeting

Seat Belts

Marc,

Beautiful plane, I have a completed -7 and am slowly making some changes to it. You are motivating me to change my panel.

Where did you get your seat belts? Are they Hooker?

Hi Mark,
I used to work with you at Eclipse a few years back and remembered you were going to build a 7. I'm getting ready to build a 7A and was curious if there are any areas that should be of concern? Also, did you build this airplane with Warren H. or on your own? By the way, your airplane is unbelievable. It's one of the nicest I've seen. Take care.

Mike, Are you still in Albuquerque? If so I'd be glad to take you up flying for some intial motivation! Warren's -9A is out at AEG right now and flying, although he's not involved in it any more.

Marc,

Those products you have there make the slobber pour out of my mouth! The video is a great selling tool! Too bad I ain't mad of money or I would have one of those babies!

Thanks Rick! You're too nice. When you get up close, you can see it's not a show plane, just a weekly flyer with plenty of blemishes. Would love to build another one, but it'll have to wait till the kids are older, maybe out of the house. :rolleyes:

Vertical Power videos are now up at http://www.verticalpower.com/gallery.html

If there's anything else you'd like to see on video (about our products of course), send an email and we'll see what we can do.

It's actually less than you might think. At the top of the purchase page on our web site is a "Pricing Analysis" document that you can use to determine what things you don't have to buy, so you save money. And just as importantly, it gives you a good idea about the ways in which you can simplify your aircraft's electrical system and at the same time get more features.

Thanks for the nice words, all.

Last edited:
New panel upgrade in late 2011. Changed to a Vertical Power VP-400, Garmin G3X and GTN 650. The red button is the Runway Seeker button.

227KVPanel.png

227KVPanel2.png

227KVPanel3.png

wow

That is a very nice airplane, I am installing my vertical power now. Its just a vp sport but I already know I am going to like it. We use something similar to it at work and have zero problems with it.

bird

Question for you -where did you get those switches?

Digikey

Sent them to engravers.net for engraving.

Note that these are, for the most part, switched through the VP-400. The master, mags, and cross tie are wired directly to those items.

Last edited:
I sent Aerotronics a .dxf file and they bonded the carbon fiber (real) to aluminum backing, cut it out, did the panel labeling. Then they clear coat it with a satin clear.

Disregard question, found answer.

I'm usually not a big fan of carbon fiber, but your panel looks awesome.

Last edited:
Picture from a flight the other day with Marc Cook of Kitplanes Magazine. Picture by Marc Cook.

VP400-Cook.jpg

New Panel

Here's the latest panel. I had to swap out the VP-400 for the VP-X. I really like the new autopilot control panel, and the Dynon D-6 makes a great backup.

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

BTW, these images were shot with an iPhone. The last batch of pictures with a Leica. What a difference!

Back