What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Seats

frankd

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone have the dimensions for the seat bottom and back cushions? Mine are odd shaped and long in the tooth, and I would like make new ones.
Thanks,
Frank

While I don't have the dimensions for the seat bottom, I will tell you how I set mine up (and everyone will have a good laugh). First, I went to the salvage yard and got the driver's seat out of a Toyota SR5 (don't laugh):censored: and removed the seat portion from the frame leaving only the seat itself. Then I took that seat and the back rest to an upholstery shop and had them re-cover the seat in the colors that I chose and made the back rest as well. Cost including the seat, $140.00. I then added memory foam that I had laying around to the inside of the bottom of the seat for added support (don't laugh yet).:censored: Total weight 5lbs. For me, maximum comfort. Now you can laugh.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It won't work for anyone else, but it does for me. And if i was able to put a smile on someone's face as well then, my job is complete.:giggle:

There are numerous types of seat foam you can use. Search the past articles to find vendor. I used three different density’s. Trial and error. Glue together with low strength 3M spray glue for initial fitting. I like extra lumbar support so I
added that. Trim width and length to clear stick, flap handle, etc. Get in and out to check height and comfort. Then take to upholstry shop and have a plain cloth cover installed. Then install in aircraft and sit in for at least an hour. Try all controls and canopy clearance. When satisfied take seat apart and reglue with high strength 3M spray glue. Cover with your favorite material and you are done. Sections of Velcro hold them in. Takes at least 20 hours.

Bob Grigsby. RV3B. Almost done. two steps forward. 1.5 steps back

Back