What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 current sensing shunt

bbaggerman

I am in the process of redesigning my legacy RV-12 electrical system. To free up more panel space I am going to replace my Van's Fuse and Switch Module with a Vertical Power VP-X electronic circuit breaker box. Besides switches and fuse, the Van's panel apparently also has a current sensing shunt. I say apparently because I'll be darned if I can figure out where it is. I was expecting to find an appropriate copper shunt with sense wire whiskers on it but so far no joy. Is it possible they implemented the current sensing shunt with just a PCB trace? Using a PCB trace for current sensing is notoriously inaccurate but maybe accuracy isn't that big of a deal. Still...

Anyone know where the current sense element is in the Fuse and Switch Module?

Anyone have an recommendations for an external current sensing shunt for use with the VP-X ECB?

Attached are a few pictures for reference. BTW, that last picture I attached is some less than acceptable soldering I found on my panel. This solder bridge shorted around the 30 amp generator fuse. Nice!

Attachments

• Shunt.png
    Shunt.png
    40 KB · Views: 46
  • ram_meter_shunt_a_series_28.jpg
    ram_meter_shunt_a_series_28.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
I am in the process of redesigning my legacy RV-12 electrical system. To free up more panel space I am going to replace my Van's Fuse and Switch Module with a Vertical Power VP-X electronic circuit breaker box. Besides switches and fuse, the Van's panel apparently also has a current sensing shunt. I say apparently because I'll be darned if I can figure out where it is. I was expecting to find an appropriate copper shunt with sense wire whiskers on it but so far no joy. Is it possible they implemented the current sensing shunt with just a PCB trace? Using a PCB trace for current sensing is notoriously inaccurate but maybe accuracy isn't that big of a deal. Still...

Anyone have an recommendations for an external current sensing shunt for use with the VP-X ECB?

Attached are a few pictures for reference. BTW, that last picture I attached is some less than acceptable soldering I found on my panel. This solder bridge shorted around the 30 amp generator fuse. Nice!
It is designed into the copper traces on the pcb.

I don't know if it's the same on the 12, but on my 12iS there are a couple of metallic strips surface mounted on the PCB. I assume these are what they're using for current shunts.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 11.05.15 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-02-19 at 11.04.27 PM.png

Regarding the bad soldering…
To me it looks like the terminals overheated and the solder migrated.
The direction it moved match’s what would be a downward direction with the orientation the pcb is mounted in.
If you look closely, there is almost no solder present on what would have been the upper side of the terminal. That would not be possible with the way they are soldered.

Back