What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 wheel pants - Van’s change in parts

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
For you RV-10 builders (and owners), Van’s took action to address the poor axle extension design that supports the outboard side of the wheel pant. This extension tended to break.

Here is the very nice machined part that came in my finish kit (now $77.50 each instead of the original $8 axle nut).
20230628-112112.jpg

However, I do not use the Van’s wheel pants on my original RV-10 nor on my current build. I use the James wheel pant as it is much narrower profile.

My buddy Tom Doran says he can mill some hex stock for me to make the original axle nut. That is plan A. Plan B is to cut these down to fit (but I hate to ruin such nice work).

Bottom line - if you are planning on main gear wheel pants other that the wide body Van’s part you will need to address this.

Carl

wheel pant

When you get airborne, I'd like to see how many knots the SJ pants are worth. Would you be willing to share your numbers?

When you get airborne, I'd like to see how many knots the SJ pants are worth. Would you be willing to share your numbers?

I’ll bet the number is negative. The stock pants work amazingly well. But of course he won’t have the stock pants to do a proper A-B test.

Also, back in 2010, someone (unfortunately I forget who) offered an aftermarket extension that wasn’t quite as pretty, but much improved over the original hex rod design.

The short answer is no. Not interested in more of the “oh no it doesn’t” banter. If someone thinks their idea is better then go for it.

The first RV-10 was built with the James Cowl and plenum (vertical intake engine) and these wheel pants on the main gear. It was built to maximize LOP cross county efficiently in the 170kt TAS range. It now has 1800 hours (mostly with the new owner) and I can report it met the design objectives.

In other words the first RV-10 provided the justification to follow the same path for this, my last build. The only difference on the new one will be the Cold Air Sump IO-540.

Carl

The short answer is no. Not interested in more of the “oh no it doesn’t” banter. If someone thinks their idea is better then go for it.

The first RV-10 was built with the James Cowl and plenum (vertical intake engine) and these wheel pants on the main gear. It was built to maximize LOP cross county efficiently in the 170kt TAS range. It now has 1800 hours (mostly with the new owner) and I can report it met the design objectives.

In other words the first RV-10 provided the justification to follow the same path for this, my last build. The only difference on the new one will be the Cold Air Sump IO-540.

Carl

All right, then...

My RV-10 has all the Sam James stuff. Cowling, plenum and wheel pants. My plane is no faster than the other 3 planes that my friends own but I do think they look nicer.

The wheel fairings of the RV-10 are definitely good! Incredibly stiff, lightweight and streamlined construction.

Attachments

• carbon.jpg
    carbon.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 94
Back