What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Tire Inflation

N427EF

Well Known Member
How do you access the main tire valve without removing the wheel pants?

The way the valve stem protrudes toward the axle nut it is difficult even with the wheel pants off. I need a finger to pull the stem outward and an angled chuck to inflate.
The nose wheel is much like the RV-8 main wheel, the valve is sticking straight out and easy to acces through a 1" hole in the wheel pant.

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1507.JP

(Nose Wheel)

I inflate mine every couple of month just to make sure the pressure stays up. I always check the nuts on the pant support bracket at the same time. They can easily get loose over time. There is options to fix that issue though which I plan to do. Even if there was a way, I would still take them off every quarter for inspection. They sure take a beating.

Not me

I just take mine off twice a year. I changed my tubes out for the "no leak" ones (can't remember the name).
Of course I put desert air in anytime I leave the mountains.

Thank you

I too took the wheel pants off on my 8 every once in a while to inflate the tires and also to check on the condition of the wheel assemblies.
Easy access through a hole in the side allowed me to keep the tire pressure in a very narrow range. It seems that there is no easy solution other than to take the wheel pants off or install no leak tubes, something I will probably do the first time the tires have to come off.

doors

I made some doors in the sides of the main wheel pants. Remove 3 screws and pull 2 pins. Inflate tires and reinstall. Works good but there may be an easier way.

Of course I put desert air in anytime I leave the mountains.

I think there could be a market for desert air. It's a lot cleaner than salty coastal.... or exhaust plagued eastern air. Will definitely help the tubes last longer, as well as balancing better! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I recommend taking the wheel pant off so that you can inspect the brakes.

If you use "Airstop" tubes that do not leak and only need air once or twice a year.

How do you access the main tire valve without removing the wheel pants?

The way the valve stem protrudes toward the axle nut it is difficult even with the wheel pants off. I need a finger to pull the stem outward and an angled chuck to inflate.
The nose wheel is much like the RV-8 main wheel, the valve is sticking straight out and easy to acces through a 1" hole in the wheel pant.

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1507.JP

(Nose Wheel)
The bracket on your nose wheel. What brand is it! Thank you. Rv 10 519pj

nope, remove front half of main wheel pant when the measurement from bottom of wheel pant to ground reaches at point that i know tire pressure is low
I too use the measurement from the floor to the center of the axle ext screw. However, I can check with the wheel pants on as well. I enlarged the hole to 2” and use a sheet metal plastic cap cover. I made a tool to pull the valve stem away to check pressure or inflate. Still a PIA.

Attachments

• IMG_4514.jpeg
    IMG_4514.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
I think there could be a market for desert air. It's a lot cleaner than salty coastal.... or exhaust plagued eastern air. Will definitely help the tubes last longer, as well as balancing better! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A
Just make sure you use "Winter" desert air. It is more dense and will keep the air from permeating through the sidewalls.

Just make sure you use "Winter" desert air. It is more dense and will keep the air from permeating through the sidewalls.
The wheel pants on my 10 have spring loaded doors. You just push them in to access the valve stem. My tubes are the leak guard type and have an 87 degree valve. I also mark the inside of the tire with a white stripe. When it is pointed straight down I know the valve stem in under the door. I do use a valve extension as it makes it super easy.

Gary

As mentioned, get the Dresser tubes with the 90 degree valve for the mains. Drill a hole in the wheel pants to access the valve. I positioned the valve (wheel mounted wheel pant off) and shot a laser light onto the positioned valve. Then installed the main wheel pant and drilled the hole where the beam hit. Get a metal cap from Home Depot. Also buy a motorhome tire valve extender 6 inches long. I have a small piece of tube that slides over the valve extender and also slides over the valve cap for easy removal and install of the cap. You line up the valve with the pant hole, remove the cap, screw on the extender, add your air and remove the extender. The front tire, just remove the wheel pant.

Back