What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-10 rolling fuselage cart

Latech15

Well Known Member
For those who have built a fuselage cart, what is a good height for the spar to sit at for easy access to work on the fuse from the tail attach point?

I’ve had it sitting on either a table or sawhorses up to this point, but I think that a rolling cart will be better once I have the tail attached in a small shop.

For those who have built a fuselage cart, what is a good height for the spar to sit at for easy access to work on the fuse from the tail attach point?

I’ve had it sitting on either a table or sawhorses up to this point, but I think that a rolling cart will be better once I have the tail attached in a small shop.
Mine was at the height of a set of small casters plus the depth of a 2x4. Net, probably 8-10 inches. That was a good height for me, as it (mostly) kept me off of a ladder while doing the cabin and doors.

Mine was down there too, chosen mostly to assure stability. I never wished for it to be higher, and found it particularly useful when doing the top and when painting the interior (pre final cabin install). Once the top was on and primed, I attached a big expensive weight to the front and stood her on wheels.

Derek

Did you build it where the bottom of the fuse sits on the 2x4 at the bottom or did you build a set of forks on either side to sandwich the spar where it sticks out?

Mine was indeed a little higher.

I did pick up the wing supports using the leftovers from the shipping box. There is also a carpet wrapped 2x4 under the spar.

2024-03-04_20-38-52.jpg

It reflects both what I had lying around, and its temporary nature. 3 dollies, some lumber triangles leftover from a stair stringer and a bunch of screws.

I'd build Kyle's style if I was doing it again.

Back